ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applied citizenship Dec 2020. Inadvisable to apply for HAP?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ApplyingforCitizen
Newly Registered
Ireland

Applied citizenship Dec 2020. Inadvisable to apply for HAP?

Post by ApplyingforCitizen » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:05 pm

Hello All, I applied for citizenship on the basis of 5 yrs in Dec 2020. Passport received back about 6 wks later. Nothing since then, including no e-vetting. My landlord is now seeking return of his property so we will need to move elsewhere. Rental situation chronic. Is it inadvisable for me now to apply for Housing Assistance Payment (HAP)? If it would not be a good idea for the success of my application, I will not do so, although my financial situation is extremely tight.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Nala2021
Greece

Re: Applied citizenship Dec 2020. Inadvisable to apply for HAP?

Post by Nala2021 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:59 am

I don't know what others will tell you, but I personally find it ridiculous for you to suffer without HAP. At the end of the day, you applied in Dec '20 ,heard nothing - you have every right to get on with your life as you see fit in order to survive.

I am also renting, and I know it's a very, very difficult system to search for and secure accommodation. Others here may tell you about 'benefits' and how they 'think' may be adverse to your application, but that is not the law. It is unjust and unfair to penalise an applicant for wanting to stay alive and look after their living situation.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:50 am

I'd agree with the above. It's been a year, things might have changed and become different, especially in these times with covid.
Just be careful and make sure your current Stamp allows you to do so.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:05 pm

The government has exercised discretion and not holding benefit claim against applicant during the Pandemic.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

ailA2019
Ireland

Post by ailA2019 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:57 pm

Does not affect your application and may get your approval faster than someone who not use any support. In fact, in my business, two employees started with part time, both received state support, HAP, medical card then got their approval before me.

ApplyingforCitizen
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ApplyingforCitizen » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:28 pm

Thank you very much for all your replies. Really really appreciate your views, particularly in these extraordinary times.

Thanks again

Jumbo Breakfast Role
Newly Registered
Isle of Man

Post by Jumbo Breakfast Role » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:47 am

Nala2021 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:59 am
I don't know what others will tell you, but I personally find it ridiculous for you to suffer without HAP. At the end of the day, you applied in Dec '20 ,heard nothing - you have every right to get on with your life as you see fit in order to survive.

I am also renting, and I know it's a very, very difficult system to search for and secure accommodation. Others here may tell you about 'benefits' and how they 'think' may be adverse to your application, but that is not the law. It is unjust and unfair to penalize an applicant for wanting to stay alive and look after their living situation.
Administrative rules are in places on this ! Nothing unfair about them. If an economic migrant wants to live and work in Ireland, they are expected not to recourse to welfare - it is explicitly stated in their leave to remain letters (May not say this for those who get asylum or EU Treaty Rights related) . Those conditions do not go away . It is not unreasonable or unfair that candidates for citizenship can show that in the past 5 years that they did not claim welfare

In this case, any application for welfare will arise AFTER making the application. That might be useful . One has to take into account the unprecedented nature of this housing problem. We always had housing issues but never a situation where there a little to no decent properties available and where the rents all over the country were to high .

Go and claim the HAP but no one can predict whether or not you could get penalized for claiming AFTER making the application - It is at the discretion of the Minister . It might be easier to predict the outcome if you claimed welfare for 3 years prior to making the Application but even then, that is not a given that the Minister would reject that case. I am very doubtful that any immigrant is going to get penalised for anything that was completely out of their control between 2020-present. The rent chaos is out of your hands.

Even if you were in a top job, you would still be paying a fortune for rent and that is not guaranteed that you would even find a decent place - that is how bad things are

Do what you have to do to survive , citizenship is not the be all and end all

Nala2021
Greece

Post by Nala2021 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:38 am

This is not a leave to remain situation, it is a citizenship context. Welfare is not some type of dirty tar brush that diminishes peoples' value and life. These 'migrants' pay into the system, and have every right to claim back when they need it.

To expect someone to live in poverty, or without financial help, when they vitally need it is akin to torture. And that is against human rights, whatever the context or situation.

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Post by raja.brit » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:44 pm

I know of couple who are on HAP and got approval for Citizenship.

Hope it helps.

All the best!