ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Absence from State after Citizenship Application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

luxurylemon
Ireland

Absence from State after Citizenship Application

Post by luxurylemon » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:59 pm

I have a query regarding being absent from the state following citizenship application.
If you are outside the State for longer than 6 weeks after you submit your application, you must notify ISD by letter or email to explain why.
That very much reads to me that if you are outside Ireland for more than 6 weeks total from when you apply to when you are granted citizenship, now you need to tell them. Is that the case or is it the 6 weeks per year?
We have about 4 weeks vacation planned for this year...and I was even hoping to go for another week somewhere in October but now I'm thinking I shouldn't and we should conserve our weeks spent outside Ireland. We haven't done anything for the last two years, like a lot of people I know, but we all want to get on with life and be able to go places again.
If my husbands application ends up taking 2/3 years+ is that it then we only have 2 spare weeks now until he gets an answer from citizenship?

meself2
Ireland

Re: Absence from State after Citizenship Application

Post by meself2 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:02 am

I'd expect it to be per year, since that's the usual amount of time given for a year from ISD to travel.
See post2017410.html#p2017410 .
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:52 am

Not sure what’s the big fuss about it, every calendar year between 1st of January till 31st of December you are allowed to leave İreland for up to 6 weeks. More than that, you need to explain why you are absent. Simple as that.

So if you will be away more than 6 weeks just send them an email, simple as that

Nala2021
Greece

Post by Nala2021 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:06 pm

mentalmind wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:52 am
Not sure what’s the big fuss about it, every calendar year between 1st of January till 31st of December you are allowed to leave İreland for up to 6 weeks. More than that, you need to explain why you are absent. Simple as that.

So if you will be away more than 6 weeks just send them an email, simple as that
Out of curiosity, as I agree with what you say, wasn't the Minister going to make the 6 week rule a 10 week rule or something like that? I keep trying to find it but I can't get it anywhere. Did I see it completely wrong?

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:08 pm

Sorry, first time hearing about 10 weeks thing. And they actually think being away for 6 weeks per year is "generous". So I doubt they will change it to 10 weeks (but would be nice if they did).