ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Tanya S
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Child citizenship application

Post by Tanya S » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:06 pm

Hello, I have just completed my ILR and my son who was born in Uk, and has an Indian passport, qualifies for British citizenship. My understanding is that we need to make a MN1 application. I have 2 queries:

(1) Will he get the passport right away or will there be 2 steps - naturalisation and then applying for British passport?

(2) how long can it take to get the British passport for him after we have filed MN1?

(2) We want to travel to India next month on his Indian passport if he can’t get his British passport by then. Will he be allowed back into UK?

Thank you for looking into this.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child citizenship application

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:35 pm

(1) Will he get the passport right away or will there be 2 steps - naturalisation and then applying for British passport?
Children are Registered as British. Only adults are naturalised. He has to be registered/approved and receive the certificate first before you can apply for a British passport.
(2) how long can it take to get the British passport for him after we have filed MN1?
Up to 6 weeks for standard service or you can pay extra and use the 1 week fast track service
(2) We want to travel to India next month on his Indian passport if he can’t get his British passport by then. Will he be allowed back into UK?
MN1 applications can take up to 6 months. It is highly unlikely that the whole reprocess will be completed by "next month". He is free to travel provided he has a valid visa to board a flight and return to the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Tanya S
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Tanya S » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:04 am

Thanks for your response. The child’s BRP has expired and we didn’t apply for his ILR. So he currently doesn’t have a visa to stay in UK. If he travels outside Uk, it is possible for him to re-enter into Uk basis his certificate of citizenship?

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:
England

Post by mesn » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:03 am

Tanya S wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:04 am
Thanks for your response. The child’s BRP has expired and we didn’t apply for his ILR. So he currently doesn’t have a visa to stay in UK. If he travels outside Uk, it is possible for him to re-enter into Uk basis his certificate of citizenship?
Yes as per the advice in this forum. A British Citizen cant be denied access to UK. You will have to carry the Naturalization certificate. But way easier if you just get the British Passport which is shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks.
T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:06 am

Tanya S wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:04 am
The issue is being able to board a plane to return. Without a valid visa or BRP, the child won't be able to get on the plane. The certificate of registration is not valid for travelling as proof for airlines.

Also highly unlikely you would have the certificate of registration by next month when you plan on traveling.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.