ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born outside the UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

applicant_tom
Newly Registered

Child born outside the UK

Post by applicant_tom » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:55 pm

Hi,

I hope everyone is ok. My daughter has been born a few weeks ago outside the UK. We currently live in one of the EU states with the intention to relocate back to the UK. I'm a UK citizen. Based on the research I've done so far my understanding is that she is a British citizen too and ideally I'd like to submit an application so she can be issued British passport too.

Now I'm wondering - what's the best way of doing that? I can imagine that if I just submit my application to the passport office they may reject it based on the grounds that they have no idea who she is. Do I need to register her in the UK first and/or confirm her citizenship status first?

Hope the above makes sense,

Thanks,
Tom

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child born outside the UK

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:00 pm

Your previous posts suggest you are British through naturalisation, which means a child born abroad is British by descent. Apply for a passport directly.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:54 am

Apply for the child's first British passport with your naturalisation certificate (proof of your British citizenship otherwise than by descent) and the child's birth certificate.

Be aware that the child will not be able to pass on British citizenship automatically to their own children (your grandchildren) if born outside the UK. British citizenship is restricted to one generation born outside the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

UKJPN
United Kingdom

Post by UKJPN » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:36 pm

Hello I recently applied for my children's British passport

They are Japanese, it took about 4 weeks to get their passports. Pretty quick.

You generally will need to provide. Your birth certificate, your parents birth certificates and marriage certificate
Copy of your child's passports from the other country, ( if they have one)
Your child's birth certificate too.
The documents will need to be translated too if not in English.

applicant_tom
Newly Registered

Post by applicant_tom » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:59 pm

Hey everyone,

thank you for your updates. That's also what I understood by reading gov.uk but there are so many rules that I wanted to double check!

Have a good weekend everyone

Cheers,
TP