ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

when can one apply for irish passport

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

knapps
Member of Standing

when can one apply for irish passport

Post by knapps » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:51 pm

I have got 5 years visa based on my marriage wiht eu national not irish. I am in the third year at the moment. I need to know when i an apply for passport or indifinite visa.plz help

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:56 pm

After the 5 years, you will automatically acquire Permanent Residency. Apply to the DoJ for confirmation of this using form EU3.

Irish passports are only issued to Irish citizens. You will be an Irish citizen if you naturalise. Further info here

knapps
Member of Standing

Post by knapps » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:20 pm

ok so i have to wait for 5 years past first and then apply is that what you are suggesting mate

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:16 pm

knapps wrote:ok so i have to wait for 5 years past first and then apply is that what you are suggesting mate
In a nutshell. By apply, you should be referring to naturalisation. Only when naturalised as an Irish citizen can you apply for an Irish passport.

robby1
BANNED

re

Post by robby1 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:09 pm

i am in same situation , in my fourth year of residence permit eufam-4 on behalf of my wife,benifa you means that we guys means spouses of e.u citizen after 5 years won't be able to apply for anything else then p.residence and renewing it every 10 years ,i don't think so it is fair and right ,we have to check with doj, e.u treaty rights section ,but problem is they never answer on phone, anyone else who can share some information on this topic ...
thanks
robby

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: re

Post by Ben » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:19 pm

robby1 wrote:i am in same situation , in my fourth year of residence permit eufam-4 on behalf of my wife,benifa you means that we guys means spouses of e.u citizen after 5 years won't be able to apply for anything else then p.residence and renewing it every 10 years ,i don't think so it is fair and right ,we have to check with doj, e.u treaty rights section ,but problem is they never answer on phone, anyone else who can share some information on this topic ...
thanks
robby
After 5 years of being resident in Ireland, as the family member of an EEA citizen who is exercising EU Treaty rights, you will automatically acquire Permanent Residency in Ireland. You do not need to apply for this status - you acquire it automatically. However, it is recommended that you apply to the DoJ for confirmation of your PR status, using form EU3.

I didn't say that you can't apply for anything else. What "else" would you want to apply for? Citizenship? If you feel it necessary, apply for naturalisation. You must have 5 years reckonable residence in Ireland, in order to apply for naturalisation. Further info here.

robby1
BANNED

re

Post by robby1 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:42 pm

thanks benifa this is more clear picture ...