ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please help....urgent...student visa expiring soon

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ci07jjs

Please help....urgent...student visa expiring soon

Post by ci07jjs » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:29 pm

Hello,

I posted a question a while back but no response. Never mind but I even a worse problem that that now. so please please help.

I am intending to apply for the Post Study Visa (PSW) and I have been recently completed the requirements for a masters degree. I understand one of the requirements is to provide a confirmation letter from the university and also state when I am due to receive the certificate.

I have already received a letter from the university stating that the board of examiners have recommended me for the award of masters while this needs to be confirmed by the senate.

I provide the exact text included in my letter for your convinience:

"Dear XXXXX,

I am pleased to inform you that on 12 November 2008, the Board of Examiners recommended you for the Award of Master of Science with distinction in XXXX"

This recommendation is due to confirmed by Senate on 3 March 2009. After this date you will be entitled to received a certifcate to confim this award.

In the meantime, this letter provides confirmation of the Board of Examiners' recommendation , and the award you are due to receive."

Can you please confirm if this letter is sufficient? Can I apply for PSW with this letter?

Many thanks

Jai

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:43 pm

They are going to ask for the certificate! However you can apply for an extension on your student visa for the period up to the point when you have a confirmed award. You can even work full time waiting for the award.
Last edited by Frontier Mole on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ci07jjs

Post by ci07jjs » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:50 pm

I thought the alternative was to provide the letter stating when I was going to be awarded for the psw??? but the letter states the senate can only meet in march. Is the exam board confirmation not enough for the homeoffice?

I am not sure if I can extend my visa on a student status as all the board of examiners and they have passed me. I am also under the understanding if I waiting for the results then that would be switched to a visitor visa which means I am not eligbile for psw to apply within coutry???

Please help. I am extremely worried.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:08 pm

Documents we require
70. Paragraph 245AA and 54 (Appendix A) of the
immigration rules state that we will only award points
when an applicant provides the specified evidence
that he/she meets the requirements for this category.
71. The specified documents are as follows:
1.) original certificate of award; and
2.) original letter from the institution at which
the applicant studied towards his/her eligible
qualification; and
3.) where an applicant is unable to submit their
original certificate of award because it has
not yet been issued, he/she may submit the
application without it. However, the letter from
the institution must include extra information
explaining the individual’s circumstances; and

4.) original passport(s) or travel document(s)
containing the relevant grant(s) of leave in the
United Kingdom for the period during which
the applicant studied and/or conducted research
for his/her eligible qualification in the United
Kingdom.
1) Original certificate of award
72. This must be the applicant’s original certificate
(not a copy) and must clearly show the:
• applicant’s name;
• title of the qualification; and
• name of the awarding body.
73. We will not accept provisional certificates.

ci07jjs

Post by ci07jjs » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:15 pm

Dear Frontier,

I appreciate your help.

But unfortunately I am still in very much doubt with the letter that was issued to me.
If you read above the letter states that the board of examiners has only recommended me for the award and due to confirmed by the sentate in march 2009.

My question really is that does the homeoffice know the exam board recommendation is good enough or does it have to be definetly awarded?

I know you are trying to help but I am just not entirely convinced with what I have and what has been asked for!

Thanks again anyways.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:30 pm

My personal view is the letter is not good enough. Others on the forum have tried with the same type of letter without much success.

The letter has to be a guarantee of an award. Your letter does not seem to hit the mark as it is not entirely clear that you are guaranteed the award. It looks likely to almost certain you will get an award but it does not carry a definite. I think it is written in such a way that by some really strange reason an award is not granted you can not hold the exam board liable.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:32 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:My personal view is the letter is not good enough. Others on the forum have tried with the same type of letter without much success.

The letter has to be a guarantee of an award. Your letter does not seem to hit the mark as it is not entirely clear that you are guaranteed the award. It looks likely to almost certain you will get an award but it does not carry a definite. I think it is written in such a way that by some really strange reason an award is not granted you can not hold the exam board liable.
But why can't he listen to good advice.
Last edited by republique on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:35 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:They are going to ask for the certificate! However you can apply for an extension on your student visa for the period up to the point when you have a confirmed award. You can even work full time waiting for the award.
I totally agree as per my first post.

ci07jjs

Post by ci07jjs » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:38 pm

republique wrote:
Frontier Mole wrote:My personal view is the letter is not good enough. Others on the forum have tried with the same type of letter without much success.

But it means she is still a student until the diploma is issued. So why can't she get it extended?
Well, you mean "he" (I am a man) ;-)

The reason why I can't get extended is because that I have completed the requirements of the course and still waiting to get awarded. For students who wants to get awarded they need to swtich to a visitor visa and from visitor visa you are not allowed to switch into a student visa.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:04 pm

26.9 Postgraduate Students
A postgraduate is a student who is studying for a higher degree (e.g. PhD, DPhil, MA, MSc). This may involve a taught course or supervised research, or both.
Postgraduate students can fall into several categories:
26.9.1 Postgraduate students who will be awarded higher degrees by the
university at which they are enrolled These students fulfil the normal student criteria. As postgraduate courses tend not to follow the pattern of a traditional academic year, students enrolled on such courses should be granted leave to remain plus an additional 4 months beyond the end of the course, irrespective of when it finishes. This additional period is often necessary for the processes which follow the submission of the thesis or dissertation, including any correction or rewriting that may have to be done.

You can apply for an extension.

ci07jjs

Post by ci07jjs » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:33 am

Hi Frontier,

I have already been given that extra four months. My results has been released and I have no case to extend my student visa on. The only thing left in the course is the sentate meeting to decide my award and for the graduation ceremony. I believe I need to get visitor visa if I need to get all this.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:06 am

That leaves you little choice but to apply for the PSW, you have nothing to lose as long as you do it before your current visa runs out. If they refuse then appeal and by the time the apppeal is heard you will have the certificate.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:21 am

Does the BIA really ask for original certificates? I wouldn't trust them with any originals....if they can easily lose passports....

ci07jjs

Post by ci07jjs » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:20 am

homeoffice doesnt need original certificates. but they needed a letter from the institution to state that I have been awarded and also further state when my certificate will be issued.

The way the procedure works in the instittion is that it goes through an exam board who recommends me for the award and senate agrees to it. Senate really don't change anything....I mean the decision the exam board makes is final.

The letter that I have states that the exam board has recommended me for the senate to award me. I although been awarded I cannot seem to prove it to the homeoffice that I been awarded as the senate does not happen till march which is after my student visa expires.

Frontier: I am curretly working temp and my contract is only in align with my visa ie., student visa working permission october until january 09. The contract states if I am suffcesfull in getting a PSW then it will be extended. This leaves me no choice but to apply for the PSW asap as they have a waiting of 4-14 weeks. If I apply now and rejected I don't think I still have enough time for the senate meeting in March to get the updated certificate for the appeal process.

ci07jjs

Post by ci07jjs » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:16 am

Guys I am really frustrated! don't know what to do! please has anyone got any ideas.

Seriously I feel that I am going to break down crying anytime.

bani

Post by bani » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:30 am

ci07jjs wrote:homeoffice doesnt need original certificates. but they needed a letter from the institution to state that I have been awarded and also further state when my certificate will be issued.

The way the procedure works in the instittion is that it goes through an exam board who recommends me for the award and senate agrees to it. Senate really don't change anything....I mean the decision the exam board makes is final.

The letter that I have states that the exam board has recommended me for the senate to award me. I although been awarded I cannot seem to prove it to the homeoffice that I been awarded as the senate does not happen till march which is after my student visa expires.

Frontier: I am curretly working temp and my contract is only in align with my visa ie., student visa working permission october until january 09. The contract states if I am suffcesfull in getting a PSW then it will be extended. This leaves me no choice but to apply for the PSW asap as they have a waiting of 4-14 weeks. If I apply now and rejected I don't think I still have enough time for the senate meeting in March to get the updated certificate for the appeal process.
Get an additional letter (from a professor, someone on the exam board, or someone in student affairs) explaining what you just said - that the senate meeting will just be a formality and that you have completed the degree requirements and will get the degree. Maybe this will help with your PSW application.

This is the best you can do so just do it and stay positive. If it doesn't work out, it's not the end of the world. There will be a gap between visas but you will still get your PSW. Good luck. I hope the timing works out and you get the certificate in time.

ci07jjs

Post by ci07jjs » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:45 am

Thanks mate. I will look at the option too.

One thing I would like to add is that I work in Registry (the university where I graduated) part-time (where most of the behind the scenes with senate and exam board happens). I have spoken this to my line manager and she is just on her way to the senate members to see if she can get my certificates issued soon before the senate happens to get my PSW.

I am still feeling a bit shaky as I still can't seem to get what is rightfully mine (the certificates). the university bureaucracy is a hurdle and I don't think homeoffice realises that which is why all this problem is happening in the first place.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:00 pm

As posted by FrontierMole, this appears to be your answer:

3.) where an applicant is unable to submit their
original certificate of award because it has
not yet been issued, he/she may submit the
application without it. However, the letter from
the institution must include extra information
explaining the individual’s circumstances; and ...

ci07jjs

Post by ci07jjs » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:59 pm

Thanks for the reply.

However, I believe whilst the individual circumstances has to be explained by the insititution (which has done as shown above in the letter that was given to me) I am still worried I haven't been awarded yet. following is the extract from the psw policy guidance document:

65. An applicant can claim 15 points if the
qualifi cation for which he/she is claiming points was
obtained within the 12 months immediately before
his/her application for entry clearance or leave to
remain under Tier 1 (Post-Study Work).

66. We will always consider that the date on which
the applicant was first notified in writing, by the
awarding institution, that the qualifi cation has been
awarded, is the date on which the qualifi cation was
‘obtained’ (date of award).

67. We will not accept that the date of award is the
date of graduation.

Further para 74 further explains the awarding details

74. This letter must be an original letter (not a copy),
on the offi cial letter-headed paper of the United
Kingdom institution at which the applicant studied
and bearing the offi cial stamp of that institution. It
must have been issued by an authorised offi cial of
that institution and must confi rm the:
• applicant’s name;
• title of the qualifi cation;
• start and end dates of the applicant’s period/s of
study and/or research for this qualifi cation at the
United Kingdom institution; and
• date of award (as defi ned above).

All the bolded words suggests the qualifcation need to have to have been awarded not just the recommendation of award as I have !?![/b]

ci07jjs

Post by ci07jjs » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:12 pm

Thanks for the reply.

However, I believe whilst the individual circumstances has to be explained by the insititution (which has done as shown above in the letter that was given to me) I am still worried I haven't been awarded yet. following is the extract from the psw policy guidance document:

awarded,
is the date on which the qualifi cation was

date of graduation.

• applicant’s name;

Qualifi cation
46. An applicant can claim 20 points if he/she has
been awarded
one of the following qualifi cations:
• A United Kingdom recognised degree at
bachelor’s level; or
• A United Kingdom recognised degree at
postgraduate level; or
• A United Kingdom postgraduate certifi cate or
diploma; or
• A higher national diploma (HND) from a
Scottish institution.

All the bolded words suggests the qualifcation need to have to have been awarded not just the recommendation of award as I have !?!

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:17 pm

ci07jjs wrote:Thanks for the reply.

awarded, is the date on which the qualifi cation was

date of graduation.

• applicant’s name;

All the bolded words suggests the qualifcation need to have to have been awarded not just the recommendation of award as I have !?![/b]
So? We already told you what you do and do not qualify for. Do what you want.