ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR with a criminal record and looking to apply for my British passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Brown22
Newly Registered
Nigeria

ILR with a criminal record and looking to apply for my British passport

Post by Brown22 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I got my ILR last year july and i am looking to apply for a British passport but i've got a criminal record. I was convicted in 2015 to do community service. I would appreciate it if i can get any advice on how to handle this.

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: ILR with a criminal record and looking to apply for my British passport

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:38 pm

Perhaps best to start with the "good character guidance" used by UKVI case workers:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-guidance
Without knowing all the details the first advice would be to disclose the details as part of your application.
Do ask further questions in this thread as necessary.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Borntowin
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Borntowin » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:25 pm

Brown22 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:14 pm
Hi everyone,

I got my ILR last year july and i am looking to apply for a British passport but i've got a criminal record. I was convicted in 2015 to do community service. I would appreciate it if i can get any advice on how to handle this.

Thanks

It will not come out successful under Good Character Requirement, i will advice you to wait for 10 years from the date of judgement before making application. Hope this helps.

Dumbledoor
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Dumbledoor » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:16 pm

Home office rule states; • a non-custodial sentence or out-of-court disposal that is recorded on their criminal record which occurred in the 3 years prior to the date of application.

Because you received community service so it’s non custodial sentence so should be alright to apply but I suggest that you should use an immigration solicitor for the application who can probably write a cover letter for you explaining your circumstances.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:45 pm

Borntowin wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:25 pm
Brown22 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks

It will not come out successful under Good Character Requirement, i will advice you to wait for 10 years from the date of judgement before making application. Hope this helps.
No specific background was given by the OP ....
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:42 pm

Brown22 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks
You are confusing British Citizenship with British Passport. They are NOT the same thing.

(You can become a British Citizen and never ever, ever in your life have a British Passport; you do NOT get a British Passport for free when you receive your British citizenship certificate, you have to apply, and pay for it).

They are two separate processes. Just like any passport of any nationality, you can only apply for a British Passport once you are already a British citizen. You cannot apply for a British Passport when you are only on ILR!!!

Therefore, what you are seeking to apply for now is NOT a British Passport, you are applying for British citizenship.

Sorry for the long post and redundant explanation, but it's just silly how many people here don't know the difference.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.