ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship for a minor - parent with sole responsibility

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

doraramu84
India

British citizenship for a minor - parent with sole responsibility

Post by doraramu84 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:36 pm

Hi,

I have got ILE for my son by proving sole responsibility. He is 12 years old now. I am going to apply for citizenship for both myself and my son now. I have got some questions, can you please help?

1. Is it possible to apply for my son's citizenship now as it is only a month since he got his ILE?
2. As I have got court orders from India saying that I am the sole responsible parent, does my son's application need consent from both parents?
3. Under which category should I make the application for my son?
4. Do I need to get the reference from any UK citizen knowing my son personally for more than 2 years?

Thanks,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British citizenship for a minor - parent with sole responsibility

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:41 pm

HO likely expects at least 2 years residence for older children.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... le-version
Any other child born to British or non-British parents
It is not possible to cover all circumstances under which the Home Secretary might exercise discretion in circumstances not already described in this guide. However, in considering any application not specifically covered above consideration will be given to:

the child’s connections with the UK – we would expect the child to be free of any restrictions on their stay in the UK
where the child’s future is likely to lie
the parents’ views
the parents’ nationality and immigration status – we expect either both parents to be British citizens or one parent a British citizen and the other parent settled in the UK
whether the child is of good character
the length of time the child has lived in the UK – we expect at least 2 years residence (particularly if the child is over the age of 13)
any compelling circumstances
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

doraramu84
India

Post by doraramu84 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:20 am

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

As my son's age is 12, I am going to be applying for his citizenship under the child below the age of 13 category. The guidance says, under this category, the length of residence is less important.

I am filling the application form, it is asking for referral from two people who are British Citizens who knows the applicant (my child) for 3 years. As he recently joined me in the UK, I wont be able to get this reference from any one. Can you please suggest how I can go about it?
Is it ok if I get the referral from some one who knows me - the main applicant ?

Thanks,
Radha

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:29 am

Yes, try that.

I think they may just ask you to find other referees if your chosen ones are not acceptable.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

doraramu84
India

Post by doraramu84 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:01 pm

Hi Vinny,

Thank you

doraramu84
India

Post by doraramu84 » Tue May 10, 2022 1:02 pm

Hi,

Should the referee have known the child for 3 years? I would not be able to find any referee for my son as he moved to the UK only a couple of months ago. Even my friends who are British citizenship holders know only me personally not my son. I am not sure how I can go about it. Please help.

Will it be acceptable if I get any referee from India ?

Thank you,

doraramu84
India

Post by doraramu84 » Wed May 18, 2022 10:24 am

Hi,

I am filling in the naturalisation form, there is question - Do you have any children whose birth parent is not your partner?

I have a son (who is also applying to register as a british citizen along with me). I was married to his father when he was born, but later got divorced. What should I be answering for the above question? I am answering 'YES', is this correct? Please help.

Thanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Thu May 19, 2022 12:26 pm

doraramu84 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:24 am
Hi,

I am filling in the naturalisation form, there is question - Do you have any children whose birth parent is not your partner?

I have a son (who is also applying to register as a british citizen along with me). I was married to his father when he was born, but later got divorced. What should I be answering for the above question? I am answering 'YES', is this correct? Please help.

Thanks
Correct

sheronoberoi
Newly Registered
India

Post by sheronoberoi » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:33 am

Hi doraramu
I need guidance on similar issue. About to file my skilled worker visa with my 12 yr old. I am a single parent. Any tips to prove sole responsibility

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:48 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

doraramu84
India

Post by doraramu84 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:54 am

Hi,

I have applied for British citizenship for me and my son ( 12 years old) in June 2022. I have received an email today from home office inviting me for citizenship ceremony. It does not mention my son's name. Will there be a separate email for my son's application approval?

The email has the group application reference xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

My application reference looks like xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx/00
My son's application reference looks like xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx/01

Or, can I assume that my child's application has also been approved?

Thanks,

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:09 am

Congratulations on the acceptance!

As your son is a minor he doesn't need to attend the ceremony, once he gets the certificate he will be a British citizen. Did you receive the certificate for him?
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

doraramu84
India

Post by doraramu84 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:10 am

Hi,

I have now received an email from home office confirming my son's citizenship approval.
Thanks every one for your help.

Thanks,