ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Anyone fined £1000 for not returning BRP?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bsc2007
India

Anyone fined £1000 for not returning BRP?

Post by bsc2007 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:08 am

Hi forum

Has anyone been fined for not returning ILR BRP after the ceremony? Is anyone fined for travelling abroad with the BRP card? There is a possibility that my wife and daughter might need to travel on Indian passports + ILR BRP card after the ceremony.

- My wife and daughter are applying for BC today (04-Apr-2022).
- We are travelling to India from 24-Jun-2022 to 27-Aug-2022.
- To get the British passport and eVisa to India, they must have the ceremony by 15-May-2022 (there is a chance of this happening).
- They are safe if the approval is on or after 29-May-2022 (three months to attend the ceremony).
- There is a problem if the approval is roughly between 10-May-2022 to 28-May-2022 (and it looks like that might happen).

Many thanks,
B

bsc2007
India

Re: Anyone fined £1000 for not returning BRP?

Post by bsc2007 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:22 am

Also, now that the pandemic is over, would we still have six months to attend the ceremony, or will it be curtailed to three months soon?

If it is six months, then they will attend the ceremony after returning to the UK (which was my initial plan before seeing that some are getting approvals within a month).

talreh20
Member of Standing
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by talreh20 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:44 pm

bsc2007 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:08 am
Hi forum

Has anyone been fined for not returning ILR BRP after the ceremony? Is anyone fined for travelling abroad with the BRP card? There is a possibility that my wife and daughter might need to travel on Indian passports + ILR BRP card after the ceremony.

- My wife and daughter are applying for BC today (04-Apr-2022).
- We are travelling to India from 24-Jun-2022 to 27-Aug-2022.
- To get the British passport and eVisa to India, they must have the ceremony by 15-May-2022 (there is a chance of this happening).
- They are safe if the approval is on or after 29-May-2022 (three months to attend the ceremony).
- There is a problem if the approval is roughly between 10-May-2022 to 28-May-2022 (and it looks like that might happen).

Many thanks,
B
When your say your wife and daughter are applying BC today, do you mean naturalisation application?
Naturalisation applications take months in my experience. I doubt you'll get a reply anytime before 3 months but never say never.

As far as i know, once ceremony is done, BRP (ILR) is void/Invalid. You are safe to travel until the naturalisation application is not decided or decided and you haven't attended the ceremony. If you travel on ILR BRP after the ceremony you risk being declined entry back to the UK.

I don't know about 3 or 6 months ceremony attendance deadline.

Hope the above helps.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:04 pm

talreh20 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:44 pm
If you travel on ILR BRP after the ceremony you risk being declined entry back to the UK.
Some clarification on wording, here. As a British citizen you cannot be denied entry into the UK. I have seen in other posts the general advice of traveling with your citizen certificate + foreign passport as an alternative.

That being said, if you are a visa-required national, the challenge is to prove to airlines and other carriers that you have the right to come to the UK. Different companies might accept different documentation, but that refers to being denied boarding onto a plane, and is different from having your "entry declined into the UK", that would be illegal.

In any case, airlines would not know a ILR is null and void. As long as it says on paper that it's valid, they'll usually take it as face value (But I'm aware that was not the original question :D )
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Ben1989
United States of America

Post by Ben1989 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:23 am

talreh20 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:44 pm
When your say your wife and daughter are applying BC today, do you mean naturalisation application?
Naturalisation applications take months in my experience. I doubt you'll get a reply anytime before 3 months but never say never.
My wife received her invitation to a ceremony four weeks after her application recently so it can be that quick. It can equally be a lot longer.

Three months is now the ceremony deadline.

Ben1989
United States of America

Post by Ben1989 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:39 am

If you intend on travelling and are worried why are you applying now?

You also need your passport to travel, that's added time after your ceremony due to being allowed to board. Seems you're giving yourself a headache over just waiting?

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:
England

Post by mesn » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:01 pm

Don't think anyone has ever been fined but are you willing to ignore the advice given in the approval email about surrendering the BRP and try your luck?

Would suggest you apply now and Bio may take a month. If you get the approval before you come back, you can always schedule your Ceremony later to keep the BRP valid.
T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022