ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Being made Redundant on a Work Permit - PLEASE HELP

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Hkalian
Newly Registered

Being made Redundant on a Work Permit - PLEASE HELP

Post by Hkalian » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:34 pm

Hi,

I currently have a work permit with my company but there is a possibliltiy that i be made redundant soon ( will get a 3month redundancy package).

I would like to know what happens to my work permit if im made redundant.Is it still valid and how will this affect my application for Indef Leave to remain?

Thank you very much for our help.

Dublin1

Post by Dublin1 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:08 pm

That is good question,
Did u mean ur LTR or citizenship ?
Are you work permit or green card holder ?

I don't know the answer but I think giving the full picture will allow other to comment.

victor8600

Re: Being made Redundant on a Work Permit - PLEASE HELP

Post by victor8600 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:52 pm

Hkalian wrote:I would like to know what happens to my work permit if im made redundant.Is it still valid ....
WP is valid only for one employer, so if you leave your current employment, it is not valid. You will have to return the WP to DETE, your employer will also return their copy of your WP to DETE.

If you were made redundant, you may look for a new job and apply for a new WP. In which case, DETE will issue the WP for you faster (in theory), if you specify in your application form that you were made redundant from the previous employment.

Your current GNIB registration will be still valid until the date you need to renew it. If your GNIB registration expires before you find another job/get a new WP, you become an illegal immigrant ;) You may apply to the minister of DoJ (?) for the temporary "leave to remain", or whatever it is called. While you wait for the decision, you may stay in Ireland. If that is refused, you have to leave the country or become an illegal.

My advice to you is to go to MRCI as soon as you get booted from the job and ask about what you can and cannot do.
All your base are belong to us

Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:39 pm

Yes, contact MRCI is the best thing to do. They usually very good at giving advise. Do it sooner rather than later.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:33 pm

http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits/redundant.htm
specifies the official word from DETE. Looks like you've got 3 months to find a new job.

I wish you all the best in finding a new job.

Volter
Newly Registered

Redundant on a Work Permit

Post by Volter » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:26 am

Hi everyone,

I am nearly in the similar situation.
I was granted a Work Permit with a validity of 2 years. I am working in constructor sector.
But there is a possibility that I’ll be made redundant soon.
Just wondering what the situation will be if a person get redundant just after 6 months of permit.
I would be very grateful if you could help me on this.

Kay
Newly Registered

Post by Kay » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:05 pm

Hi there

I was made redundant on a work permit in June this year. Thankfully I found a job very soon after (I did have to move from Dublin to Kilkenny though).

As someone else said, your current permit is only valid for the job you are in now. You do get three month's grace to find another job and your permit is fast-tracked. Also, the new job doesn't have to be advertised on FAS... there are a few other things as well.

I put a thread up on a very similar situation a few months ago and someone posted a great link. I'll try and find it.

Good luck with things. I understand your stress....

K

Kay
Newly Registered

Post by Kay » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:10 pm

Dublin1

Post by Dublin1 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:00 pm

Did u apply urself or the new company did apply on ur behlaf ?