ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Mn1 Form From india

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

venky55555

Mn1 Form From india

Post by venky55555 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:50 am

Hello Everyone,

My Bay visa is going to expire in March 20233.

She has to travel to India.

My baby daughter was born in India. Father is on a British passport now. mother is on ILR.

SO I want to register my baby as a British citizen using the MN1 form.
Can I apply from india? What is the process for it?

can someone answer me

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Mn1 Form From india

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:23 pm

You should have applied for ILR for the child with your spouse.

The child needs to be in the UK to apply for citizenship once they have ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

venky55555

Post by venky55555 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:24 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:23 pm
You should have applied for ILR for the child with your spouse.

The child needs to be in the UK to apply for citizenship once they have ILR.
Thanks for your replay.,

ILR costs me more. This is why I have chosen to apply to MN1.
I am assuming i am on a British passport and my wife got the ILR. so I can register my baby using the MN1 form. I don't need to apply ILR. i can directly register my baby.

Are we okay to apply from India or not?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:41 pm

A child born abroad has absolutely no entitlement to register as British.

Non UK born children are expected to hold ILR before they can apply and must be in the UK to register as British which is at the sole discretion of the Home Office and they do not have to exercise discretion and can refuse an application due to not meeting the requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

venky55555

Post by venky55555 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:57 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:41 pm
A child born abroad has absolutely no entitlement to register as British.

Non UK born children are expected to hold ILR before they can apply and must be in the UK to register as British which is at the sole discretion of the Home Office and they do not have to exercise discretion and can refuse an application due to not meeting the requirements.
That is totally wrong.

I have a few friends whose babies were born in India. They have applied for their citizenship using MN1 and they have received it. But they have applied when they are in the UK.

But my only question is if my baby is in India is she can apply or not?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:16 am

The only MN1 applications from abroad that we have seen succeed on these forums is one where the child has an entitlement to be registered as a British citizen (generally one where they were born in the UK and then traveled abroad).

As your child was born abroad, it does not have an entitlement to registration, but its registration is at discretion. The SSHD/Home Office have laid out guidelines as to when a child born abroad can be regstered at discretion. It is expected that the child is in the UK and has ILR/ILE. Alternatively, strong compelling compassionate reasons are required to register a child under discretion.

You can choose to try your luck with registering the child directly as a British citizen on Form MN1, but if it fails, you will end up having to pay for two Form MN1s (as the refusal will not lead to a refund and you will lose the entire fees) AND an application for ILE. So, it is really your call and whether you are a gambling person.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.