ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Success in getting govt./ public job ?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sher

Success in getting govt./ public job ?

Post by Sher » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:49 pm

Wonder ....
Has anyone been successful at getting a govt./ public job, while on an HSMP ?
nJOY !
may u grow by leaps and pounds !

:roll:

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:07 am

Almost all govt. jobs have a filter before you can apply "are u a British citizen Y/N" , so HSMP holders are regected there itself.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:15 am

Rog wrote:Almost all govt. jobs have a filter before you can apply "are u a British citizen Y/N" , so HSMP holders are regected there itself.
Not necessarily true - unless the job affects national security e.g in the Ministry of Defence or Security organisations.

In fact you can in theory work for the Police/Army if you have been ordinarily resident in the UK (and you are from a commonwealth Country?)

By the way Govt jobs are not that *well paying* - the benefits tend to occur when you retire (good pension scheme!!)
Where there is a will there is a way.

technician

Post by technician » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:12 am

Hi sher, & Chess,

For the last over ten years I am working here in India in a very large public sector company. Also I have co-authored some international technical papers.

Under this circumstances, What are my chances of getting Govt. or public sector jobs in the UK?? At this moment pay packet is of secondary importance.

Regards,

TECH
Team work- Nurturing Talents

viren68

Thanks Rog

Post by viren68 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:34 am

Hello Rog,

thanks for that information ROG. Regarding that info " Are u a british national"

I will not apply any more and wanting time and money

Vir

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:48 pm

In fact you can in theory work for the Police/Army if you have been ordinarily resident in the UK (and you are from a commonwealth Country?) >== i don't know about the army but when i tried to join the police I was asked if i got ILR

Marie B

Post by Marie B » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:01 pm

I know if you want a career in the army, navy or air force you must have been a British Citizen, Irish Citizen or Commonwealth Citizen from birth, although the Ministry of Defence will occasionally waiver this if you are a citizen of one of the above countries at application and have lived in the UK for at least three years (but only under exceptional circumstances). Certain career paths are open to British Citizens only.

For jobs in central government or government departments and the police (incl. support staff) I think the criteria is similar, you must be either a British citizen, a national of a state within the European Economic Area or a Commonwealth Citizen with no employment restriction or time limit on your stay in the United Kingdom. All applicants should have lived here continuously for the last 3 years, again certain career paths are open to British Citizens only. If you want to be a police officer you can apply if you are a national from another country not on the above list if you have no restriction on your stay and have lived here for three years.

I think local government/public sector have less stringent requirements, you just have to have the right to work in the UK. Think jobs in the public sector are quite competitive.

Marie B

Post by Marie B » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:33 am

By the way Govt jobs are not that *well paying* - the benefits tend to occur when you retire (good pension scheme!!)
According to a recent report in The Times average Public Sector pay increases are now 7.6% while the Private Sector manages just 3.4%. And, hour for hour, Public Sector jobs carry a salary 17% higher. :shock: