ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born abroad with settled status

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Angie77

Child born abroad with settled status

Post by Angie77 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:12 pm

I'm have my British citizenship since 2016 thanks to the amazing tips I received on this board and now I would like to apply for citizenship for my child who is 16 years old and holds settled status. I have a few questions.

1- As far as I understand she can apply under section 1 of the mn1 form. Is that right?

2- I see that's possible to apply online. Is that better than paper form?

3- I don't see to find guidance with the necessary documentation list to apply for citizenship. Can anyone help please?

4- citizenship Under section 1 parents need to be married and provide marriage certificate?? Is that right?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child born abroad with settled status

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:30 pm

How long has she lived in the UK?

What is the immigration status of the other parent?

1. She applies under section 3(1) which is at discretion. On the list it is the "Other" option.

2. You need to apply online.

4. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 1-guidance
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Angie77

Post by Angie77 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:44 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:30 pm
How long has she lived in the UK?

What is the immigration status of the other parent?

1. She applies under section 3(1) which is at discretion. On the list it is the "Other" option.

2. You need to apply online.

4. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 1-guidance

Thanks for your reply. She has been living in the UK for 7 years and has had settled status for over 1 year.

On the mn1 guidance there's no information about residency requirements and documentation in her case. It it not necessary to prove 5 years residency ?

How do the referees sign the form if application is online?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:54 pm

I asked because children over 13 require 2 years residence before they can apply for citizenship.

Referee form has to be printed, they sign it and you scan and upload with the supporting documents.

There was also no requirement to wait for 1 year on settled status for the child if one parent is British and the other parent holds settled status (which I presume the other parent does).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Angie77

Post by Angie77 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:55 pm

Is there any requirement for the child to have health insurance ? I'm asking this because when my husband and I became British citizens in theory she became self sufficient as she couldn't rely on our EU citizenship anymore so I took on comprehensive health insurance for her at that time as I knew this was a requirement.
However I don't see this requirement anymore. Have this been scrapped? There's no need to have comprehensive health insurance anymore??

I was looking through the forms and I can't quite understand section 3 about parents. Does it need to be filled ??

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:55 pm

For Settled Status there has never been a requirement for CSI - this was required under the old EU regulations as adopted by the UK - relating to persons exercising EU Treaty Rights as "Students" or "Self-sufficients". As far as I know it was never required for children. Residents are covered under NHS anyway.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.