ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

can i represent myself at appeal tribunal ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

amserve

can i represent myself at appeal tribunal ?

Post by amserve » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:37 pm

My friend is sponsoring his parents for a visit visa. He is due to attend appeal hearing next month. He can't afford to instruct a lawyer so I was thinking of representing at the appeal. Is this possible ? or does a representative have to be a qualified person ? Obviously I would be helping him out, not charging him of course.

Any suggestions welcome

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:30 am

The sponsor can rep themself BUT any other third party rep must be at least registered with OISC. If you are not a qualified legal rep then you can not help him out in the way you suggest.

jilly cooper

Post by jilly cooper » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:00 am

You do not have to be qualified to represent your friend. You don't even have to be registered with OISC as long as you will inform the tribunal, you will be fine with it. To be sure, ask your freind to write and fax to the AIT confirming this policy. I am sure that this is still the case.

Good luck!

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:55 pm

jilly cooper wrote:You do not have to be qualified to represent your friend. You don't even have to be registered with OISC as long as you will inform the tribunal, you will be fine with it. To be sure, ask your friend to write and fax to the AIT confirming this policy. I am sure that this is still the case.
Good luck!
The above information is inaccurate - sorry.
Section 84 of Immigration & Asylum Act 1999 refers as does the Para 48 of Asylum and Immigration Tribunal (Procedure) Rules 2005 in all but bail hearings the representative must meet the section 84 requirement. All reps are asked to sign a form on the day to state that they meet this requirement.

jei2
Member of Standing

Re: can i represent myself at appeal tribunal ?

Post by jei2 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:11 am

amserve wrote:My friend is sponsoring his parents for a visit visa. He is due to attend appeal hearing next month. He can't afford to instruct a lawyer so I was thinking of representing at the appeal. Is this possible ? or does a representative have to be a qualified person ? Obviously I would be helping him out, not charging him of course.

Any suggestions welcome
Hmm.. lawyers come in different fee ranges. Sensing a clue here as to why the application might have been refused. But can you clarify?

As aforementioned the provision of immigration advice and services is now stitched up under legal requirements tighter than a... thingy.

More's the pity, since there are some laypeople out there who could put some of the legal representatives I've come accross to shame.
Oh, the drama...!

jilly cooper

Post by jilly cooper » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:53 am

Frontier Mole wrote:The above information is inaccurate - sorry.
Section 84 of Immigration & Asylum Act 1999 refers as does the Para 48 of Asylum and Immigration Tribunal (Procedure) Rules 2005 in all but bail hearings the representative must meet the section 84 requirement. All reps are asked to sign a form on the day to state that they meet this requirement.

The information given is misleading. The AIT states clearly:

Appeals (Legal representation)

You should seek legal representation for your appeal as early as possible. Make sure that the person you choose has training and experience in asylum and immigration matters. We cannot recommend any single representative or group. The Legal Services Commission, the Law Society and the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner may all help you to find a suitable advisor.

Not having legal representation does not prevent you making an appeal.

We cannot provide legal advice.

Please follow the link below:

http://www.ait.gov.uk/Appeals/legalRepresentation.htm

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:24 pm

amserve

Unless you meet the requirements to be a legal representative you cannot play the role of a legal representative as Frontier Mole posted.

However, your friend does not need to have a legal representative.

Regards.

katrina

Post by katrina » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:48 pm

Hi

I represented my husaband at AIT here in uk . As his dependent visa was refused , and by god's grace we won the apppeal in 2004 .

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:06 pm

Hello katrina

Were you the legal representative, or giving evidence as the sponsor of the application and therefore not a representative?

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:31 pm

jilly cooper wrote:
Frontier Mole wrote:The above information is inaccurate - sorry.

The information given is misleading. The AIT states clearly:

Appeals (Legal representation)

You should seek legal representation for your appeal as early as possible. Make sure that the person you choose has training and experience in asylum and immigration matters. We cannot recommend any single representative or group. The Legal Services Commission, the Law Society and the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner may all help you to find a suitable advisor

I think you'll find a clue in the highlighted text above.

A third party non-sponsor representative who isn't registered (or exempted) with any of the above organisations is likely to be given very short thrift in court.

But I agree with you that this information taken without reference could be misleading since the extract above veers from "legal representative" to "advisor" without any clarification.
Oh, the drama...!

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:09 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:The sponsor can rep themself BUT any other third party rep must be at least registered with OISC. If you are not a qualified legal rep then you can not help him out in the way you suggest.
Excuse me folks - note what I said in my first post.
I also pointed out that there a legal minimum to meet if there is a third party rep. This is when JC said I was wrong about third party reps!! I think that point in law is now clear and as advised in my second post there is a requirement to have a suitably qualified person to act as a third party rep.

The OP is about a third party rep not the sponsor. Just to make it clear AT NO POINT HAVE I SAID YOU NEED TO HAVE A LEGAL REP.
Makes my job easier if you don't... :twisted:

katrina

Post by katrina » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:00 pm

I Was the sponsor + the judge ask me there is no one to represent you , i said no , i came to represent my case , then he ask me do you understand english i said yes and so onnnnn .. and the proceeding started at AIT in harrow.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:28 pm

amserve wrote:My friend is sponsoring his parents for a visit visa. He is due to attend appeal hearing next month. He can't afford to instruct a lawyer so I was thinking of representing at the appeal. Is this possible ? or does a representative have to be a qualified person ? Obviously I would be helping him out, not charging him of course.

Any suggestions welcome
why do you want to rep in the first place
do you have any experience in the area
if your friend say he is rep himself, you can always sit there with him and help him out but based on what everyone else says you can't do it alone