ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Employment details

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

IELTS Life Skills B1 question

Post by VirtualWaver » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:39 am

Hi All,

My wife took IELTS Life Skills B1 test for her ILR application back in 2018.

Now she is applying for naturalization and my understanding is that she can still use that test to proof she meets English language requirements even though the test expired already. Its according to
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

I just want to double check this is correct please, to avoid potential refusal.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: IELTS Life Skills B1 question

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:31 am

Correct test used for ILR can be used for naturalisation - select the appropriate option in the application.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: IELTS Life Skills B1 question

Post by VirtualWaver » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:25 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:31 am
Correct test used for ILR can be used for naturalisation - select the appropriate option in the application.
Thanks a lot!

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Application questions

Post by VirtualWaver » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:43 pm

Hi All,

Hope you are doing well.

I am (finally) completing online naturalisation application and there are a few questions I kindly need your help with please. I apologise if this has been answered elsewhere, couldn't find it.

The questions are:

1. Do you have a previous visa, entry clearance or leave to remain where you had to prove your knowledge of English?:

Me: I have a master's degree from a UK university and was always using it for all my applications (PSW, Tier 2, ILR, etc). Do I need to answer Yes or No to this question?

My wife: She passed an IELTS Life Skills test for her ILR. Does she need to answer Yes or No to this question?

2. Did you meet the knowledge of English requirement as part of an indefinite leave application made on or after 28 October 2013?

The answer is Yes for both of us, but in this case what's the point of question 1 above? A bit confusing.

3. Do you have any dependants not applying with you at this time?

A a bit confusing question.

I am applying alone at the moment. My wife will apply later on, once I will be naturalised. She has an ILR (she used to be on dependant visa prior to ILR but now has ILR so not a dependant anymore). My children are British (one is a British from birth, the other one was on dependant visa but then naturalised as born in the UK and both parents got ILR).

Do I need to answer Yes or No to this question?

4. It generates a documents list I need to provide. I assume I don't need to provide anything else apart from documents it asks? (it doesn't ask to provide proof of employment, payslips, etc, probably, because I am not EEA or Swiss national).

Thank you so much!

kamoe
European Union

Re: Application questions

Post by kamoe » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:55 pm

VirtualWaver wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:43 pm
1. Do you have a previous visa, entry clearance or leave to remain where you had to prove your knowledge of English?:

Me: I have a master's degree from a UK university and was always using it for all my applications (PSW, Tier 2, ILR, etc). Do I need to answer Yes or No to this question?
Presumably, to get your masters you had to get a Tier 4 visa? If so, you would have needed to pass an English test to get that visa. If so, answer is Yes; otherwise No.
My wife: She passed an IELTS Life Skills test for her ILR. Does she need to answer Yes or No to this question?
Again, she did pass a test to get her ILR, so answer is also Yes.
2. Did you meet the knowledge of English requirement as part of an indefinite leave application made on or after 28 October 2013?

The answer is Yes for both of us, but in this case what's the point of question 1 above? A bit confusing.
No. You did not meet the requirement in order to get your ILR. You met the requirement way before, when you got your Tier 4 (or PSW). That's what the question is asking. Answer is No.

Answer is Yes for your wife, though.

I am applying alone at the moment. My wife will apply later on, once I will be naturalised. She has an ILR (she used to be on dependant visa prior to ILR but now has ILR so not a dependant anymore). My children are British (one is a British from birth, the other one was on dependant visa but then naturalised as born in the UK and both parents got ILR).

I am really not sure what you find confusing. You applying alone, but you have dependants. Answer is Yes.
4. It generates a documents list I need to provide. I assume I don't need to provide anything else apart from documents it asks? (it doesn't ask to provide proof of employment, payslips, etc, probably, because I am not EEA or Swiss national).
Stick to the checklist. You need to supply copy of all your passports that cover the last 5 years. I think minimum requirement is copy of all stamped pages (I scanned the whole thing to be on the same side). This is to show your entry stamps, which prove your UK residence. EEA nationals don't usually receive stamps on their passport, so they have to supply the additional proof.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by VirtualWaver » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:56 pm

kamoe wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:55 pm
VirtualWaver wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:43 pm

Presumably, to get your masters you had to get a Tier 4 visa? If so, you would have needed to pass an English test to get that visa. If so, answer is Yes; otherwise No.
Again, she did pass a test to get her ILR, so answer is also Yes.

No. You did not meet the requirement in order to get your ILR. You met the requirement way before, when you got your Tier 4 (or PSW). That's what the question is asking. Answer is No.

Answer is Yes for your wife, though.

I am really not sure what you find confusing. You applying alone, but you have dependants. Answer is Yes.
Stick to the checklist. You need to supply copy of all your passports that cover the last 5 years. I think minimum requirement is copy of all stamped pages (I scanned the whole thing to be on the same side). This is to show your entry stamps, which prove your UK residence. EEA nationals don't usually receive stamps on their passport, so they have to supply the additional proof.
Thanks for the info, very helpful!

Yes, I had to take an IELTS test to get my Tier 4 visa, so the answer would be Yes.

For the dependant part, do I need to write my wife's name only, or my wife's + 2 children's (who are British)? My understanding is that if the word "dependant" means a family member, then I need to write the names of all family members, regardless if they are British or not, correct?

I was thinking they mean "someone who is on a dependant visa" not "an immediate family member".

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:58 am

VirtualWaver wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:56 pm
For the dependant part, do I need to write my wife's name only, or my wife's + 2 children's (who are British)? My understanding is that if the word "dependant" means a family member, then I need to write the names of all family members, regardless if they are British or not, correct?

I was thinking they mean "someone who is on a dependant visa" not "an immediate family member".
Best call is to answer the question as it's asked. Dependant is anyone who depends on you. If you feel the subsequent questions don't let you explain the situation, just explain in a cover letter.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Need help with a few questions in online form please

Post by VirtualWaver » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:18 pm

Hi Folks,

I am completing my naturalisation form and there are a few confusing questions. Can you please help with these?

Do you have a previous visa, entry clearance or leave to remain where you had to prove your knowledge of English? This is Yes in my case as I had PSW, Tier 2, ILR and used my degree to prove my English language knowledge. However
Tell us the previous visa, entry clearance or leave to remain you had

Well, I came to the UK to study under Tier 4 General so had to take an IELTS test get a CAS from the university, then I applied for PSW and used my degree as a proof, then I applied for Tier 2 General and also used my degree, and then applied to ILR again using my degree as a proof.

So what should I write in here? Just Indefinite Leave to Remain? Or ILR + Tier 2 + PSW? Or BRP number of ILR?

Did you meet the knowledge of English requirement as part of an indefinite leave application made on or after 28 October 2013?

This should be quite straight forward, however, the description says:

Applicants who applied for, and obtained, settlement on or after the 28th October 2013 using an English language qualification at level B1 or above can use this as evidence of their knowledge of English language. However if this qualification was not used and accepted for their settlement application, it cannot be used for this application.

I didn't show any English language test during my ILR as was using my UK degree as a proof so its not clear should I answer to Yes to this question or No?

When did you first arrive in the UK?

I guess I need to write the date when I arrived to the UK for the very first time, to study here (in 2010)? Is this correct please?

Thanks a lot!

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: Need help with a few questions in online form please

Post by VirtualWaver » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:52 am

Also, the form is asking to submit referee declarations. Where can I find these? Thanks.

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: Need help with a few questions in online form please

Post by VirtualWaver » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:18 am

Thanks for merging the topics, its tidier now.
But the questions are still relevant please.
I will appreciate if anyone could advise please. Thanks.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:38 pm

kamoe wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:58 am
Best call is to answer the question as it's asked.
Agree. Try not to overthink them.

For example,
VirtualWaver wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:18 pm
Tell us the previous visa, entry clearance or leave to remain you had
Just list them all, perhaps with dates of grants?
VirtualWaver wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:18 pm
so had to take an IELTS test get a CAS from the university,
No need to mention IELTS nor CAS, as they were not a visa, entry clearance, nor leave to remain.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

UKVCAS question

Post by VirtualWaver » Sat May 07, 2022 1:19 am

Hi All,

I am a non-EU citizen, just submitted my naturalisation application and it redirected me to UKVCAS website to book an appointment.

Its a bit confusing and I hope you will shed some light to this:

1. I cannot book any appointment at any location as it says no dates are available. How can I book one? Should I check every day? And what if no appointment slots will be available at all? I tried both normal and premium lounges.
2. I received an email saying whether my application can be progressed via the Identity Verification app (IDV app). Does it mean I have to wait until their further email before attempting to book the appointment?
3. What documents should I take to UKVCAS service - only passport/BRP or all the supporting documents? I want to upload the docs instead, can I simply upload them and only bring my passport/BRP to the appointment or need to bring all the docs anyway?
4. My name and DOB are not written on the back of my photos on both referee declaration forms as I thought its not necessary as I am going to upload the docs. Shall I ask my referees to sign the photos or this is not required / will not be checked during UKVCAS?

Thanks a lot!

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: UKVCAS question

Post by VirtualWaver » Sat May 07, 2022 1:27 am

Sorry, please ignore the post above as it was incomplete and doesn't allow to edit.

Here is the post please:

Hi All,

I am a non-EU citizen, just submitted my naturalisation application and it redirected me to UKVCAS website to book an appointment.

Its a bit confusing and I hope you will shed some light to this:

1. I received an email saying whether my application can be progressed via the Identity Verification app (IDV app) and that I cannot book any appointment before that. So I guess I need to wait for their further email (about 7-10 working days) and there is no further action required from my side at the moment, am I right?
2. Once I will receive the reply, do I still need to book an appointment with UKVCAS or it won't be required if I use the app instead?
3. Do I still need to upload my supporting documents from my UKVCAS account or it should be done via IDV app?
4. If they ask to attend the appointment, what docs should I bring with me? Only BRP/Passport or all supporting docs? Can I just upload the other docs and only bring passport/BRP?
5. My name and DOB are not written on the back of my photos on both referee declaration forms as I thought its not necessary as I am going to upload the docs. Shall I ask my referees to sign the photos or this is not required / will not be checked during UKVCAS appointment?
6. Can you please confirm UKVCAS is not going to keep my BRP/Passport as I need to travel in June? Thanks.

Thanks a lot!

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Employment details

Post by VirtualWaver » Sat May 07, 2022 10:02 pm

Hi Guys,

Back in the days my previous employer, Company A, transferred me to their other company, Company B. However, my office, job, role and other things didn't change, only the company name. I remember they applied for a new Tier 2 license, etc, etc.

In my naturalisation form, in employment section I simply wrote "Company B" and entered the start and end dates of the whole duration "Company A + Company B" as I don't know when Company A became Company B and other legal details.

I am now worrying this might cause issues as if the caseworker will cross check with HMRC, they might think I didn't mention Company A as my employer.

Do you think I should write a cover letter explaining this or I am just overthinking?

Also, the same Company B sent me to a business trip back in 2018. I specified that absence in the application for and mentioned it was a business trip. Will caseworker ask me to provide evidence it was a business trip, not a holiday, or they don't care about this, only the number of days absent?

Generally, why they ask for the reason of trip if they only care about absence? Thanks.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Employment details

Post by alterhase58 » Sat May 07, 2022 11:12 pm

You are overthinking the employment situation you are explaining.
Realistically it's the "ending" employer that's sufficient in my view. Of course you are free to add an explanatory note.

There is no distinction between business and holiday absences.
You don't need to provide evidence for any trips you make, just list the days absent.
Don't exactly know why they ask to classify absences, though in some circumstances where applicants travel extensively on business there may be grounds for discretion if absences are excessive (for example pilots or seafarers). Don't worry about this unless you are a frequent traveller.

Naturalisation is not a visa application.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by VirtualWaver » Sat May 07, 2022 11:33 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 11:12 pm
You are overthinking the employment situation you are explaining.
Realistically it's the "ending" employer that's sufficient in my view. Of course you are free to add an explanatory note.

There is no distinction between business and holiday absences.
You don't need to provide evidence for any trips you make, just list the days absent.
Don't exactly know why they ask to classify absences, though in some circumstances where applicants travel extensively on business there may be grounds for discretion if absences are excessive (for example pilots or seafarers). Don't worry about this unless you are a frequent traveller.

Naturalisation is not a visa application.
Thanks a lot! Yes, I am overthinking a lot!

Can I ask some other question please: I just realised that my second referee (the one that shouldn't be an approved professional) knows me for less than 3 years (2 years and 11 months to be precise) but he already signed the declaration and I uploaded.

I think its fairly easy to spot this as he is my colleague and I started my employment in Jun 2019.

Is this going to be a huge issue? Should I do something about it? Thanks.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Sun May 08, 2022 4:07 pm

VirtualWaver wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 1:27 am
1. I received an email saying whether my application can be progressed via the Identity Verification app (IDV app) and that I cannot book any appointment before that. So I guess I need to wait for their further email (about 7-10 working days) and there is no further action required from my side at the moment, am I right?
Right.
2. Once I will receive the reply, do I still need to book an appointment with UKVCAS or it won't be required if I use the app instead?
You only have to do one of these. Follow the instructions of the email. If they tell you to book an appointment, book an appointment. If they tell you to use the app, use the app. You can't chose which one you do, that's why you have to wait for their instructions.
3. Do I still need to upload my supporting documents from my UKVCAS account or it should be done via IDV app?
Good question. I am not sure. I would think, if you had a biometrics appointment, use UKVCAS; if you used the app, upload via the app. Not sure if mix and match would work.
4. If they ask to attend the appointment, what docs should I bring with me? Only BRP/Passport or all supporting docs? Can I just upload the other docs and only bring passport/BRP?
Only Passport. I don't think you need BRP, but no harm in brining it along, just in case. You don't need to bring any other documents, you have to upload them instead.
5. My name and DOB are not written on the back of my photos on both referee declaration forms as I thought its not necessary as I am going to upload the docs. Shall I ask my referees to sign the photos or this is not required / will not be checked during UKVCAS appointment?
You obviously don't need to do this.

These are legacy instructions written for a time when physical documents were sent. The application form and procedure is plagued with these. In this case, you are scanning a page where you have attached a picture; whether you wrote your name on the back of picture won't be captured by the scanner, and the resulting pdf files will have no information about this. And you are never sending the physical pictures. Therefore, wether the back of the picture has your name and DOB, the name of your favourite band, the name of your cat, or nothing at all, is irrelevant.
6. Can you please confirm UKVCAS is not going to keep my BRP/Passport as I need to travel in June? Thanks.
No, they won't keep it.

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by VirtualWaver » Sun May 08, 2022 4:55 pm

kamoe wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 4:07 pm
VirtualWaver wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 1:27 am
Right.
You only have to do one of these. Follow the instructions of the email. If they tell you to book an appointment, book an appointment. If they tell you to use the app, use the app. You can't chose which one you do, that's why you have to wait for their instructions.
Good question. I am not sure. I would think, if you had a biometrics appointment, use UKVCAS; if you used the app, upload via the app. Not sure if mix and match would work.
Only Passport. I don't think you need BRP, but no harm in brining it along, just in case. You don't need to bring any other documents, you have to upload them instead.
You obviously don't need to do this.

These are legacy instructions written for a time when physical documents were sent. The application form and procedure is plagued with these. In this case, you are scanning a page where you have attached a picture; whether you wrote your name on the back of picture won't be captured by the scanner, and the resulting pdf files will have no information about this. And you are never sending the physical pictures. Therefore, wether the back of the picture has your name and DOB, the name of your favourite band, the name of your cat, or nothing at all, is irrelevant.
No, they won't keep it.
Thank you SO much! I know most of my questions are quite straight forward but you know, we always overthink when it comes to us haha.

There is one more questions left, if you don't mind please. It's about referees above (I just realised one of the referees knows me for less than 3 years (2 years and 11 months to be precise) but he already signed the declaration and I uploaded it). Is this going to be a huge issue? Thanks.

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by VirtualWaver » Sun May 08, 2022 11:15 pm

Folks, I apologise for so many questions but will REALLY appreciate if you could help with the referee part please.

There are 2 things that I am worried about:

1. I submitted my application on 5th of May but my first referee signed the declaration on 1st of May. Is this going to be an issue?
2. The 2nd referee knows me for 2 years and 11 months, not 3 years. Is this going to be an issue?

I know they will normally require to submit another referee declaration if current referees do not meet the criteria but I am worried they might consider this as a deception and both my referee and I will have issues (Nationality Policy mentions this).

Should I cancel my application and re-apply again (I did not submit my biometrics yet)? Or should I explain this in cover letter? Or am I overthinking?

If its possible to cancel my application, will I get a refund? Also, will it be ok to apply right after cancelling the application (i.e. will it cause any issues)?

Please advise. Thanks a lot!

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by VirtualWaver » Mon May 09, 2022 4:51 pm

It seems I need to withdraw my application and try again from scratch...

Don't know if writing a cover letter with a new referee would fix this. Can't find any info about it.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 09, 2022 5:00 pm

You really are overthinking things completely and being paranoid.

Get another referee who has known you for 3 years and upload the form with a cover letter.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by VirtualWaver » Mon May 09, 2022 5:04 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:00 pm
You really are overthinking things completely and being paranoid.

Get another referee who has known you for 3 years and upload the form with a cover letter.
Thanks a lot CR001 and really sorry for asking silly questions - this application is really stressful! I thought I am done with all this after I've got ILR :)

I was just a bit paranoid about this as thinking they might consider this a deception.

What do you think I should write in the cover letter? Should I just explain that I spotted the referee knows me for less than 3 years and that I am providing the details of other referee that meets the requirements?
Last edited by VirtualWaver on Mon May 09, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 09, 2022 5:06 pm

Just that you are providing another as the first doesn't meet the requirement. You don't even have to upload the wrong referee form.

It is really not a difficult application to make.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by VirtualWaver » Mon May 09, 2022 5:07 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:06 pm
Just that you are providing another as the first doesn't meet the requirement. You don't even have to upload the wrong referee form.

It is really not a difficult application to make.
Thanks a lot!

Unfortunately, I already uploaded the form. Hopefully, it won't cause any issues as the referee signed the declaration they qualify (but they might not because know me less than 3 years).

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 09, 2022 5:08 pm

Did you read the guidance notes at all? Most of your questions are covered in there.
Char (CR001 not Casa)