ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family immigration for family of person with Right of Abode from Russia

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

timarkovich
Newly Registered
Canada

Family immigration for family of person with Right of Abode from Russia

Post by timarkovich » Tue May 10, 2022 2:28 pm

Hi, I am a Canadian citizen, currently living in Russia. I have the Right of Abode in the U.K. through my adoptive mother who was a British citizen. Due to the situation in Russia, my family and I want to resettle in the U.K. ASAP. My wife is a Russia citizen. My two children have Russian and Canadian citizenship. Could you please advise about the quickest and least expensive way to bring them with me to the U.K. Thanks very much for your time.

vinny

Re: Right of Abode from Russia

Post by vinny » Tue May 10, 2022 3:11 pm

They may apply for family visas subject to the requirements of Appendix FM, FM-SE.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Re: Family immigration for family of person with Right of Abode from Russia

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 10, 2022 3:15 pm

I have amended the subject line of the thread to clarify that the question is not about RIght of Abode itself, but about family immigration for a family of a person with Right of Abode.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no special provision made for Russian family members of British citizens (or people settled in the UK or with Right of Abode). You would need to meet the usual requirements for family members of British citizens and people settled in the UK.

The person with the Right of Abode would have three choices.
(a) Move to the UK on your own, earn at least £24,800 p.a. in a salaried job for six months and then make a visa application for their spouse and two children to join them,
(b) Show earnings of at least £24,800 in the country they are currently resident in (Russia) for at least three months AND a confirmed job offer for at least the same amount in the UK. If they meet these requirements, they can apply for spousal visas to move to the UK straightaway.
OR
(c) Show savings of at least £78,000 in an easily accessible bank account for at least six months.

Also, what is the age of the children in question?

It may be easier to move them to Canada. You may want to look into that as well.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Tue May 10, 2022 3:25 pm

timarkovich wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:28 pm
Could you please advise about the quickest and least expensive way to bring them with me to the UK.
It won't be quick and it's not inexpensive either to bring your wife and childen (under age 18) to the UK.

Visa fees for all of them,
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... april-2022

Health Surcharge for all of them.
https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigrati ... w-much-pay

timarkovich
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by timarkovich » Tue May 10, 2022 4:58 pm

Thanks. Children are teenagers

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 10, 2022 5:01 pm

Keep in mind that past their 18th birthday, they can't apply as your dependent to move to the UK.

They would have to qualify for a UK work or spoussal visa in their own right if they wish to move to the UK.

Depending on their precise age, there may also be implications on whether they can register as British citizens or whether they would need to meet the standard requirements for naturalisation.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

timarkovich
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by timarkovich » Tue May 10, 2022 5:08 pm

Thanks very much for all your answers. I realize it's not cheap, though I can meet the financial requirements you've mentioned. My wife, unfortunately, has already spent about 1,000 for a 5-year travel visa (she applied before the war broke out and before we considered moving.) I've read that we could possibly enter the UK on this visa and then apply for a family visa or ancestry visa for my kids (granny was british) from the UK. What do you all recommend?

timarkovich
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by timarkovich » Tue May 10, 2022 5:09 pm

13 and 16 years old

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 10, 2022 5:15 pm

I've read that we could possibly enter the UK on this visa and then apply for a family visa or ancestry visa for my kids (granny was british) from the UK. What do you all recommend?
Not recommended at all. A person cannot switch to other visa categories from a visitor visa.

For ancestry visa, if the children are the main applicants, they have to be 17 years of age as a minimum and provided your adoptive mother was UK born and not born abroad. Remember an ancestry visa is a work category visa and your children would only qualify if 17 or older or applying as dependents of a parent applying for an ancestry visa as the main applicant.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

timarkovich
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by timarkovich » Tue May 10, 2022 8:16 pm

Thanks for that information. If finances are in place, what would you suggest as the first step in getting visas for the family. would like to be in the UK by the end of the summer so my children could be enrolled in school. Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 10, 2022 8:36 pm

Out of Interest as very relevant, how will you be meeting the higher level financial requirement for a spouse and 2 children?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed May 11, 2022 3:12 am

Do you also have a valid CoE-RoA Image for yourself?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

timarkovich
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by timarkovich » Wed May 11, 2022 4:57 am

Yes, I have a valid Right of Abode visa in my Canadian passport. I plan to meet financial requirements through job earnings and savings.

timarkovich
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by timarkovich » Wed May 11, 2022 7:40 am

I have been reading the regulations on the Family Visa and see that if you apply in the UK for 800 pounds you can get "two-day service." My question is this, I understand from a previous post that you cannot switch from a visitor visa to a family visa, but is it possible to enter the UK on the visitor visa and while there apply for a Family Visa? Is this permitted?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 11, 2022 7:50 am

No, you still cannot do this. You cannot apply for them within the UK if they are here as visitors.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed May 11, 2022 8:41 am

Visitors can't switch to any other visa withi the UK, fast service or not.
timarkovich wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 7:40 am
is it possible to enter the UK on the visitor visa and while there apply for a Family Visa?
Entering the UK and then applying for a different visa category is literally the definition of switching visa types. And no, you can't do that for people in the UK on visit visas.
timarkovich wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 4:57 am
I plan to meet financial requirements through job earnings and savings.
If you plan to meet the requirements via job earnings, do you have a confirmed job offer paying at least £24,800 p.a.?

If not, you would need to move to the UK on your own, have a salaried job paying at least that amount for six months before you can apply for their visa.

timarkovich
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by timarkovich » Wed May 11, 2022 8:42 am

Thanks. One last try, if I'm in the UK alone could I submit the applications for my family?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 11, 2022 8:45 am

timarkovich wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:42 am
Thanks. One last try, if I'm in the UK alone could I submit the applications for my family?
No. They must apply in their country of residence for an entry clearance visa.

The £800 Super Priority service is for applications for an extension or switching from a qualifying visa to another or for ILR and not for applications from abroad.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 11, 2022 8:46 am

timarkovich wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 4:57 am
Yes, I have a valid Right of Abode visa in my Canadian passport. I plan to meet financial requirements through job earnings and savings.
To meet the financial requirement, you can only use overseas income IF you have a confirmed (genuine) job offer within the UK to start within 3 months of arrival that also meets the minimum requirement for a spouse plus two children.

Also, how much savings do you have as the first £16,000 is not counted.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

timarkovich
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by timarkovich » Wed May 11, 2022 8:54 am

I don't want to put a figure up on a public board, but I have a good bit of savings and also own a home in the UK. Income comes from self-employment that would continue in the UK.

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Wed May 11, 2022 9:18 am

timarkovich wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:54 am
I don't want to put a figure up on a public board, but I have a good bit of savings and also own a home in the UK. Income comes from self-employment that would continue in the UK.
Which financial route are you going to use? Savings? Self employment?

Have a read to see which category you can meet to sponsor your wife and children.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... rement.pdf
Last edited by JB007 on Wed May 11, 2022 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

timarkovich
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by timarkovich » Wed May 11, 2022 9:20 am

This is very confusing. I don't understand what you mean by which route. I have more than enough in savings and self-employment income to meet the 24,800 pounds a year minimum. Is that not satisfactory?

timarkovich
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by timarkovich » Wed May 11, 2022 9:22 am

Thanks for the guide. I'm looking at it now

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Wed May 11, 2022 9:25 am

timarkovich wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 9:20 am
This is very confusing. I don't understand what you mean by which route. I have more than enough in savings and self-employment income to meet the 24,800 pounds a year minimum. Is that not satisfactory?
Read the link given, Cataegory D, the savings route, cannot be combined with self employment earnings.

To use the saving route (category D) as CR001 has said,you do not count the first £16,000 of your savings. The savings you need, is then multiplied by the length of each visa.

timarkovich
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by timarkovich » Wed May 11, 2022 9:45 am

Thanks. So if I have rental income of say 10,000 pounds a year, plus self-employment of at least 25,000 pounds, this would qualify for a family of four? I don't quite understand about the length of the visa. could you possibly explain?