ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born abroad to a (naturalised) British citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

stegio80
United Kingdom

Child born abroad to a (naturalised) British citizen

Post by stegio80 » Sat May 14, 2022 11:13 pm

Good evening
I would like to ask whether a child who is born abroad to a naturalised British citizen is British citizen at birth.
I was born abroad and I naturalised British. I know that British citizenship passes only one generation by descent.
Would my child be a British citizen at birth even if born abroad?
Can someone clarify?
Thanks

vinny

Re: Child born abroad to a (naturalised) British citizen

Post by vinny » Sun May 15, 2022 12:43 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Re: Child born abroad to a (naturalised) British citizen

Post by secret.simon » Sun May 15, 2022 5:11 pm

Yes, your children born abroad will automatically be British citizens by descent and you can apply directly for a British passport for them with a copy of your naturalisation certificate and the child's birth certificate.

However, their children (your grandchildren) will not be.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.