ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ireland Foreign birth registration or Naturalisation?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Northern_Elliott
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Ireland Foreign birth registration or Naturalisation?

Post by Northern_Elliott » Mon May 16, 2022 9:30 pm

Hello everyone. New here 8)

For a good while, I have been looking at becoming a citizen of Ireland for a few reasons. My family has lots of connections to Ireland, including owning a house.

To cut a long story short. My parents (both mother + father) are British but my grandad (born 1929) had Irish citizenship. We do not know how, as we discovered his Irish passport when he passed away. My grandad was born in Glasgow. His parents is believed to be Irish.

My parents did not register themselves into the foreign birth registration register. However, with my grandad being an Irish citizen, do I stand a chance anywhere? I currently live in the UK since my birth in 1996.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing people's views on my situation!

G Dog
Ireland

Re: Ireland Foreign birth registration or Naturalisation?

Post by G Dog » Tue May 17, 2022 12:07 pm

Your granddad would have been a citizen as he had Irish born parents. As he was born in Glasgow, the only way for you to get Irish citizenship would be through the Foreign Births Register, and only if he had your parent registered on the Foreign Birth Register prior to your birth. And subsequently they would also have had to register you on the Foreign Births Register also.

With the information you have provided, it appears that any claim to Irish citizenship for yourself is based on a great grandparent, and so you do not qualify unfortunately. Had your grandparent been born in Ireland, then you could have applied through the FBR