ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long do I have to know a witness for Irish passport application and can I use a health professional

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jogey
Newly Registered
Ireland

How long do I have to know a witness for Irish passport application and can I use a health professional

Post by Jogey » Tue May 17, 2022 10:06 pm

My mother was born in Ireland so I am already an Irish Citizen and I am in the process of using the online application process to apply for a passport.
On the identity verification form under "important notes for the witness" it says "the applicant must ...
be personally known to you"
I moved to Manchester in September 2021. I have no personal friends from the professions in the approved witnesses list so I can only use a doctor or a dentist or pharmacist who have known me for a few months
and seen me professionally for purposes of providing medical dental or pharmaceutical services.
Can I use any of these professionals?
1) Can they conform to the requirement that "the applicant must ...
be personally known to you" and
2) Is a few months enough time for them to be accepted as identity witnesses by the Irish passport authorities

Thank you

luxurylemon
Ireland

Re: How long do I have to know a witness for Irish passport application and can I use a health professional

Post by luxurylemon » Wed May 18, 2022 11:18 am

If the witness had to be personally known to you, lots of people would also have this issue. My husband doesn't ever attend a doctor/pharmacy/nurse. The dentist we attend has a different dentist each time you go. We don't know anyone in any of these professions. That's the point in having a peace commissioner or notary public. Not sure if its something people do in the UK with the Police, but I always just have the Garda sign these types of forms.

It says the application can be witnessed by:
• Member of the Garda Síochána
• Police officer
• Notary public/ commissioner for oaths
• Peace commissioner
• Elected public representative

They just need to be able to look at your ID and be satisfied that you are who you say you are.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/how-to-get ... witnessed/

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: How long do I have to know a witness for Irish passport application and can I use a health professional

Post by littlerr » Wed May 18, 2022 7:06 pm

luxurylemon wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 11:18 am
If the witness had to be personally known to you, lots of people would also have this issue. My husband doesn't ever attend a doctor/pharmacy/nurse. The dentist we attend has a different dentist each time you go. We don't know anyone in any of these professions. That's the point in having a peace commissioner or notary public. Not sure if its something people do in the UK with the Police, but I always just have the Garda sign these types of forms.

It says the application can be witnessed by:
• Member of the Garda Síochána
• Police officer
• Notary public/ commissioner for oaths
• Peace commissioner
• Elected public representative

They just need to be able to look at your ID and be satisfied that you are who you say you are.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/how-to-get ... witnessed/
I don't think the OP is based in Ireland. The information you provided is valid for Irish residents only. Irish residents do not need a person who 'personally' knows them, but anywhere else in the world they would have to find one.

Answering OP's query, no there is no restriction on the length. In fact 'a few months' would be longer than most applicants' witnesses. The only thing that you need to make sure is this witness will take a phone call at a random date/time and will declare that he/she knows you. We've heard stories where someone's doctor went on holiday for a week and did not answer foreign phone calls, and the application got rejected.

Usually solicitors are said to 'know' you once they can confirm your identity. You don't have to befriend a solicitor - you just need to pay them some fees, provide documentary proofs so that they can confirm you are who you say you are.