ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp 6 in British Passport

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rocky101
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Stamp 6 in British Passport

Post by Rocky101 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:35 pm

I hold both Irish and British passports. Although I live in Britain, I always travel on the Irish passport.
Ive been advised by a family member in Ireland to have the stamp 6 put into the British passport given everything in the news lately, as a back up if I only have the British passport for any reason.
Looking online, it looks as though a British citizen has free movement in Ireland anyway, but I was wondering if anyone thinks it is a good idea to get this stamp.

Thanks!

meself2
Ireland

Re: Stamp 6 in British Passport

Post by meself2 » Wed May 18, 2022 11:17 pm

From what I know, Stamp 6 alone won't give you permission to be let in Ireland solely on its basis (you need an Irish passport/passport card/etc), so it's kind of pointless. See this: ireland/long-term-irish-visa-for-natura ... 27717.html
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

corky100
United Kingdom

Post by corky100 » Thu May 19, 2022 1:13 pm

As a British citizen, you don't need a passport to enter Ireland - so quite pointless.

corky100
United Kingdom

Post by corky100 » Thu May 19, 2022 1:20 pm

When coming from the UK (I mean Common Travel Area).

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Post by raja.brit » Thu May 19, 2022 1:25 pm

Rocky101 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:35 pm
I hold both Irish and British passports. Although I live in Britain, I always travel on the Irish passport.
Ive been advised by a family member in Ireland to have the stamp 6 put into the British passport given everything in the news lately, as a back up if I only have the British passport for any reason.
Looking online, it looks as though a British citizen has free movement in Ireland anyway, but I was wondering if anyone thinks it is a good idea to get this stamp.

Thanks!
You are already an Irish Citizen and why would anyone need Stamp 6 anyways? It’s pointless in my opinion.

Irish and British Citizens are treated same way in both the countries coz of CTA.

So you have got it all covered.

Note that if you are a naturalised Irish Citizen, you need to apply to intent to retain your Irish Citizenship annually as you no longer live in Ireland.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu May 19, 2022 5:12 pm

Stamp 6 does not have any use at all. It is merely a proof that you are a dual national when you show your non-Irish passport. Most people working in the immigration sector are in favour of just getting rid of it.

If your own country's immigration has border control procedures when you leave the country, that stamp won't mean anything to them anyway.

If your other nationality is from a visa-free country (i.e. if you don't need a visa to come to Ireland), nobody would check that stamp. The only benefit would probably be a quicker border control when you arrive in Ireland. The border officer may ask fewer questions if they see that you have a Stamp 6 and recognise you as an Irish citizen, but in reality all of your details are in their system anyway, so having a physical stamp is pointless.

If you do need a visa to come to Ireland, that stamp still doesn't mean anything. You still have to get a visa from the re-entry visa office, and you will be able to get that visa by merely showing your Irish passport.

In summary, the stamp is nothing but a trophy. If you want to get it just for your own satisfaction, go apply for it. It doesn't have any value other than that.

Rocky101
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Rocky101 » Thu May 19, 2022 9:01 pm

Thanks all - When I was looking last night I thought it was a bit of a waste of time but just wanted to check.
Could think of many things I'd rather do in Dublin than sitting around in the immigration offices for no reason!

bfs_lawd
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by bfs_lawd » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:08 am

Rocky101 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:35 pm

Thanks!
Stamp 6 is only really intended for Irish citizens who cant hold irish passports.

A dual US-irish citizen in the US military as a prime example (although permitted to hold dual citizenship) is not permitted to have a passport of a foreign country in their possession, therefore stamp 6 would act as a replacement proof of Irish Citizenship to allow them to still travel freely to and from Ireland without being subjected to normal non EU/UK immigration controls.

bfs_lawd
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by bfs_lawd » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:19 am

littlerr wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 5:12 pm
Stamp 6 does not have any use at all. It is merely a proof that you are a dual national when you show your non-Irish passport. Most people working in the immigration sector are in favour of just getting rid of it.

If your own country's immigration has border control procedures when you leave the country, that stamp won't mean anything to them anyway.

If your other nationality is from a visa-free country (i.e. if you don't need a visa to come to Ireland), nobody would check that stamp. The only benefit would probably be a quicker border control when you arrive in Ireland. The border officer may ask fewer questions if they see that you have a Stamp 6 and recognise you as an Irish citizen, but in reality all of your details are in their system anyway, so having a physical stamp is pointless.

If you do need a visa to come to Ireland, that stamp still doesn't mean anything. You still have to get a visa from the re-entry visa office, and you will be able to get that visa by merely showing your Irish passport.

In summary, the stamp is nothing but a trophy. If you want to get it just for your own satisfaction, go apply for it. It doesn't have any value other than that.
I agree with your first point that its pretty pointless for a british citizen to have, but as I stated previously people who hold Irish Citizenship in the US and are serving in the military, arent permitted to hold foreign passports during their service, so thats where stamp 6 comes in useful as so that their US passport can be used to travel to and from Ireland freely.

james2005
Mood:
Croatia

Post by james2005 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:12 pm

bfs_lawd wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:19 am
littlerr wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 5:12 pm

I agree with your first point that its pretty pointless for a british citizen to have, but as I stated previously people who hold Irish Citizenship in the US and are serving in the military, arent permitted to hold foreign passports during their service, so thats where stamp 6 comes in useful as so that their US passport can be used to travel to and from Ireland freely.
Wow, i was about to get stamp 6 on my non Irish passport. Well i won't bother to apply for it again.

bfs_lawd
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by bfs_lawd » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:29 am

Stamp 6 would not be placed in a british passport anyway, as british nationals arent subject to any form of immigration restrictions in Ireland, regardless of weather they have an irish parent/grandparent or not.

As I said perviously its more for irish citizens who hold security clearences in non EU countries such as the USA, who would lose that clearence by holding foreign passports and they where born with dual US/Irish citizenship by default.

If an American person with security clearance obtains citizenship by FBR then they would be deliberately acquiring another citizenship, and the American authorities in the would be much less symphetic in that case, so stamp 6 wouldnt help their case.