ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Received Naturalisation Certificate by Post.Still the Ceremony Required?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

srilukota
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Received Naturalisation Certificate by Post.Still the Ceremony Required?

Post by srilukota » Thu May 19, 2022 11:33 am

Hi All,
I applied for British Citizenship as British Spouse (3yrs route). I gave my biometrics on 25th April. I received my Certificate of Naturalisation By Post yesterday(18th may). I didn't get any invitation for Citizenship Ceremony. When my husband got citizenship , He got approval letter in post and he got the certificate at Ceremony. We are confused now. I was under the impression that the certificate will be given at Ceremony. Even all the post in this group also says the same.

Did I receive Naturalisation Certificate by post by accident? or Is this a new process now?

DO I still need to attend the ceremony?

Can I Apply for the British Passport, before the Ceremony as I already got the certificate?

I live in Slough Council

Thanks in Advance

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Received Naturalisation Certificate by Post.Still the Ceremony Required?

Post by Ticktack » Thu May 19, 2022 12:26 pm

srilukota wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 11:33 am
Hi All,
I applied for British Citizenship as British Spouse (3yrs route). I gave my biometrics on 25th April. I received my Certificate of Naturalisation By Post yesterday(18th may). I didn't get any invitation for Citizenship Ceremony. When my husband got citizenship , He got approval letter in post and he got the certificate at Ceremony. We are confused now. I was under the impression that the certificate will be given at Ceremony. Even all the post in this group also says the same.

Did I receive Naturalisation Certificate by post by accident? or Is this a new process now?

Can I Apply for the British Passport, before the Ceremony as I already got the certificate?

I live in Slough Council

Thanks in Advance
I'm thinking you got this in error. The natural process would be for you to swear an oath or affirm your allegiance to the Queen and her lineage before you become a Brit.
I'd advise you to hold fire on applying for a British Passport yet.

You don't want to muddy the waters!
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu May 19, 2022 1:21 pm

Was the certificate signed (who?) and dated??
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:
England

Post by mesn » Thu May 19, 2022 2:14 pm

srilukota wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 11:33 am
Hi All,

I live in Slough Council

Thanks in Advance
If its not signed, it won't be valid. The sign date is your date of Naturalisation. Does it say Naturalization or Registration certificate? Assuming you are not under 18 :mrgreen:
T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022

srilukota
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by srilukota » Thu May 19, 2022 2:31 pm

the certificate is dated on 10th-May-2022..there is nothing like signature . I just checked my husbands Naturalisation certificate the date is hand written(Ceremony date). there's no sign on his certificate. The title is 'Certificate of Naturalisation' not the registration.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Thu May 19, 2022 2:47 pm

srilukota wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 2:31 pm
the certificate is dated on 10th-May-2022..there is nothing like signature . I just checked my husbands Naturalisation certificate the date is hand written(Ceremony date). there's no sign on his certificate. The title is 'Certificate of Naturalisation' not the registration.
It's never actually signed. Just dated with the date your naturalisation took place. I'd advise you still go to the ceremony, and only apply for a passport after that.
It can't be that far off to wait anymore.

srilukota
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by srilukota » Thu May 19, 2022 3:18 pm

HI all,

I Just Received an email from Home Office (Home Office Atlas ). It says Ceremony is not required. Please find the contents of the email. Is the address for returning BRP is right?

I am pleased to tell you that your application for British citizenship has been approved.

You do not need to attend a citizenship ceremony. You will soon receive your certificate which is the legal evidence that you are a British citizen. We will send this to the postal address you provided in your application. If this address has changed, please let us know as soon as possible using the Change of Circumstances form here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-form-mcc

You should take care of your certificate and you must not change or laminate it.

Your previous immigration status
Once you have received your certificate of British citizenship any Biometric Residence Permit (BRP card) you have will no longer be valid and cannot be used as evidence of your status. If you have a BRP card you should return it for secure destruction. You may have to pay a penalty of up to £1,000 if you fail to return an invalid BRP.

Your BRP card should be cut in half and posted (in a windowless plain envelope) to Biometric Product Returns, IFB, 5th floor Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon, CR9 2BY. The postage is not refundable.

If you have any travel documents issued by the Home Office, including expired documents, they should be returned to the Home Office in the same envelope for official cancellation. Include a note stating that you are now a British Citizen and tell us if you would like the travel document returned once cancelled.

You may have to pay a penalty of up to £1,000 if you fail to return an invalid BRP.

If you hold refugee or stateless person’s status in the UK, you will lose this status once you become a British citizen.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri May 20, 2022 10:10 am

srilukota wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 3:18 pm
HI all,

I Just Received an email from Home Office (Home Office Atlas ). It says Ceremony is not required. Please find the contents of the email. Is the address for returning BRP is right?

I am pleased to tell you that your application for British citizenship has been approved.

You do not need to attend a citizenship ceremony. You will soon receive your certificate which is the legal evidence that you are a British citizen. We will send this to the postal address you provided in your application. If this address has changed, please let us know as soon as possible using the Change of Circumstances form here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-form-mcc

You should take care of your certificate and you must not change or laminate it.

Once you have received your certificate of British citizenship any Biometric Residence Permit (BRP card) you have will no longer be valid and cannot be used as evidence of your status. If you have a BRP card you should return it for secure destruction. You may have to pay a penalty of up to £1,000 if you fail to return an invalid BRP.

Your BRP card should be cut in half and posted (in a windowless plain envelope) to Biometric Product Returns, IFB, 5th floor Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon, CR9 2BY. The postage is not refundable.

If you have any travel documents issued by the Home Office, including expired documents, they should be returned to the Home Office in the same envelope for official cancellation. Include a note stating that you are now a British Citizen and tell us if you would like the travel document returned once cancelled.

You may have to pay a penalty of up to £1,000 if you fail to return an invalid BRP.

If you hold refugee or stateless person’s status in the UK, you will lose this status once you become a British citizen.
There goes your answer. Congratulations!
Return your BRP and apply for your British Passport.
That's the advantage of this forum. You get to see new trends unfold before your very eyes,

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat May 21, 2022 3:54 am

Interesting. In your naturalisation application, did you claim that you were not of "full capacity"? That is the only reason to dispense with the citizenship ceremony, to the best of my knowledge.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:
England

Post by mesn » Sat May 21, 2022 11:53 am

Haven't ever seen a case of Naturalisation without oath ceremony. Interesting. Could you solve the mystery for us?
T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sun May 22, 2022 12:39 pm

srilukota wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 3:18 pm
HI all,

This is a first. Do you know of any reason why this supposedly "compulsory" requirement does not apply to you.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun May 22, 2022 1:01 pm

General information – all British nationals: nationality policy guidance
Exemptions will be granted only in exceptional circumstances; for example, when a requirement to attend a ceremony would have national security implications or when an applicant cannot attend due to chronic illness or disability.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.