ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marital status on application form

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Mie
Newly Registered
United States of America

Marital status on application form

Post by Mie » Fri May 20, 2022 11:15 am

Hello,

I have a question about applying for naturalisation while separated but still legally married.

My British husband and I have been separated and living separately for years and we will be filing for divorce later this year. I wish to apply now based on residency (I have ILR since 2002 and I've lived in the UK for 20 years) rather than based on marriage as I don't think he would be willing to supply his passport and other information needed such as present address.

My question is I don't see an option for this situation on Form AN so do I have to wait to apply until we're legally divorced?

Thank for your help.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Marital status on application form

Post by Ticktack » Fri May 20, 2022 12:21 pm

Mie wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 11:15 am
Hello,

I have a question about applying for naturalisation while separated but still legally married.

My British husband and I have been separated and living separately for years and we will be filing for divorce later this year. I wish to apply now based on residency (I have ILR since 2002 and I've lived in the UK for 20 years) rather than based on marriage as I don't think he would be willing to supply his passport and other information needed such as present address.

My question is I don't see an option for this situation on Form AN so do I have to wait to apply until we're legally divorced?

Thank for your help.
Like you rightly mentioned, you're still legally married. However, you can apply for Naturalisation in your own right. You don't have to wait till your divorce is finalised. Your stay in the UK isn't dependent on him or his status.

That option is only there for those that want to use it. You've had ILR for almost 20 years, so you easily clear the 1 year requirement. Provided you've been in the country same time you apply 5 years before and you stays out of the country in the last 5 years in total and last 12 months/1 year are fine. You scale through easy.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Mie
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Mie » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:34 am

Thank you for your reply, so do I leave marital status blank, put single, or married and explain that a divorce is in process?

I have a few more questions if anyone can answer please...

1) I have a one week absence from a trip in 2019 and I went through an egate on re-entry to the UK where my passport wasn't stamped. Can I use my council tax bill as proof of residency in that case?

2) Is a certified counsellor/therapist acceptable for a professional referee?

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:40 am

Mie wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:34 am
Thank you for your reply, so do I leave marital status blank, put single, or married and explain that a divorce is in process?Married or separated. You're not legally single yet I'm afraid.

I have a few more questions if anyone can answer please...

1) I have a one week absence from a trip in 2019 and I went through an egate on re-entry to the UK where my passport wasn't stamped. Can I use my council tax bill as proof of residency in that case? They probably have all this records. They do consolidate all airlines departing and entering the UK on their database. But it doesn't hurt to add that as well.

2) Is a certified counsellor/therapist acceptable for a professional referee?I'm afraid the list doesn't say that! You've got to dig deeper.
Referees: List of acceptable professionals
Accountant
Director/Manager of a VAT registered Charity
Officer of the armed services (active or retired)
Airline pilot Director/Manager/Personnel Optician
Articled clerk of a limited company
Officer of a VAT registered Company
Paralegal (Certified or Qualified Paralegals, and Associate Members of the Institute of Paralegals
Assurance agent of recognised company
Bank/building society official
Engineer (with professional qualifications)
Driving instructor (approved)
Barrister
Person with honours (e.g.OBE, MBE etc.)
Fire service official
British Computer Society (BCS) – Professional grades which are Associate (AMBCS), Member (MBCS), Fellow (FBCS) (PN 25/2003)
Personal Licensee Holders
Funeral director Society (BCS) -Professional grades which are Associate Photographer (professional)
(AMBCS), Member(MBCS), Fellow (FBCS)
Insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
Journalist
Post Office official
Justice of the Peace
Police officer
Broker
Legal secretary (members and fellows of the Institute of legal secretaries)
President/Secretary of a recognised organisation
Chairman/director of limited company
Salvation Army officer
Chemist
Local government officer
Social worker
Chiropodist
Manager/Personnel officer
Solicitor
Christian Science practitioner
Member of Parliament
Surveyor
Commissioner for oaths
Member of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces
Councillor: local or county
Merchant Navy officer
Teacher, lecturer
Civil servant
Travel agency (qualified)
Trade union officer
Minister of a recognised religion
Civil Servant (permanent)
Valuers and auctioneers (fellow and associate members of the incorporated society)
Dentist
Nurse (RN, SEN or holder of a BA in nursing)
Warrant officers and Chief Designated Premises Supervisors
Petty Officers

Mie
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Mie » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:20 am

Thank you, I think optician used to be on the list, has it been removed? Do you have a link for the list please?

rv2010
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rv2010 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:51 pm

Optician is still on the list. Source: https://www.gov.uk/confirm-identity-onl ... pplication

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:16 pm

Mie wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:20 am
Thank you, I think optician used to be on the list, has it been removed? Do you have a link for the list please?
Mie wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:20 am
4th line down from the top.
Airline pilot Director/Manager/Personnel Optician.