ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Revoking British Citizenship and ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

londoner1200
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Revoking British Citizenship and ILR

Post by londoner1200 » Wed May 25, 2022 6:26 pm

I claimed asylum and got my British passport via naturalisation about 10 years ago. A few days ago I was asked by immigration officer at Gatwick that your home country is now safe and there is no danger to your life anymore. This question really scared me.

My question is can the home office revoke my citizenship and ILR if my home country is safe and there is no danger to my life anymore?

Thanks a lot

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Revoking British Citizenship and ILR

Post by alterhase58 » Wed May 25, 2022 6:46 pm

In what context did the officer ask this? Just by looking at your British passport?

Not aware that there's a legal basis to revoke citizenship because "home country is now safe".
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

londoner1200
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by londoner1200 » Wed May 25, 2022 8:02 pm

He was asking me general immigration questions about my visit to my home country.

He asked me how I first came to UK. I said I claimed asylum. Then he asked me you claimed asylum because there was danger to your life and now you are freely visiting your home country. Are you not in danger anymore? If not you should return to your country.

I didn't know what to tell him. What should I have told him?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed May 25, 2022 8:20 pm

Sounds rather odd this kind of questioning - and not welcoming - or hostile from a travellers perspective!
Well, I am a British citizen, here is my passport.
An immigration officer could not refuse you entry - https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

londoner1200
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by londoner1200 » Wed May 25, 2022 8:28 pm

Thank you very much for answering. Just wondering what I would say if they ask me the same thing again. If keep visiting my home country will it raise questions whether I should be returned.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed May 25, 2022 9:06 pm

londoner1200 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:28 pm
Thank you very much for answering. Just wondering what I would say if they ask me the same thing again. If keep visiting my home country will it raise questions whether I should be returned.
An immigration officer at the border cannot revoke your citizenship - that's the Home Secretary's job.
Maybe the next one will just wave you through? Remember, citizenship is not a visa that can be cancelled at any time. With your application at the time you proved that you qualified for citizenship and was approved as such.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Thu May 26, 2022 10:24 am

londoner1200 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:28 pm
Sometimes you meet some overzealous intrusive person at the boarder. Just tell him that you're a British Citizen and you don't have to answer his question.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

London22
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by London22 » Thu May 26, 2022 8:03 pm

londoner1200 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:26 pm
I claimed asylum and got my British passport via naturalisation about 10 years ago. A few days ago I was asked by immigration officer at Gatwick that your home country is now safe and there is no danger to your life anymore. This question really scared me.

My question is can the home office revoke my citizenship and ILR if my home country is safe and there is no danger to my life anymore?

Thanks a lot
This is very unprofessional & of course coming from hostile environment .Immigration officer picked on you .Your citizenship can't be revoked on the grounds of visiting your home country as an ex refugee even if your home country is safe for you .The officer is naive about law & just picked on you .These officers are same like security officers not very highly educated & unaware of law as well

londoner1200
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by londoner1200 » Thu May 26, 2022 8:16 pm

Thanks for replying, I am a little more confident now.