ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fmdddv
Mood:
France

Applying for British Citizenship

Post by fmdddv » Thu May 26, 2022 8:07 pm

Hi all,

I started a new topic as I could not find the answer to my question. My apologies if it has already been covered.

Is an EEA family member in breach of immigration law if there is a gap between the validity of their Resident Permit and their Biometric Residence Card?

Resident Permit valid from 2011 to 2016
BRC valid from 2018 to 2023

There are 22 months when the EEA family member did not renew for a document validating their status in the UK. However, their spouse, an EEA national was exercising treaty right in the UK.

They now have EUSS IRL and are wanting to apply for British citizenship, will this be a problem and should they wait to apply in 2023?

Thank you.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Applying for British Citizenship

Post by alterhase58 » Thu May 26, 2022 8:34 pm

Don't think this is an issue - Permanen Residence/ILR is by it's nature permanent (with some conditions). The dates on the card relate to the validity of the card.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu May 26, 2022 8:45 pm

fmdddv wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:07 pm
There are 22 months when the non-EEA family member did not renew for a document validating their status in the UK. However, their spouse, an EEA national was exercising treaty right in the UK.
Given that those 22 months happened between 2016 and 2018, when the UK was still a member of the EU, then by disposition of EU law, the EEA family member had the legal right to live and work in the UK whilst their EU family member exercised treaty rights. No documents necessary. Therefore, there isn't any gap of legal stay (otherwise the non-EEA family member would not have obtained ILR in the first place).
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

fmdddv
Mood:
France

Post by fmdddv » Thu May 26, 2022 11:44 pm

Thank you both.

Can they use their BRC as proof of identity (This was used for their EUSS IRL application)?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri May 27, 2022 7:03 am

fmdddv wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:44 pm
Thank you both.

Can they use their BRC as proof of identity (This was used for their EUSS IRL application)?
Proof of identity for naturalisation is your passport.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.