ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Born abroad to British father, how can I pass it on more than one generation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ST560S
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Born abroad to British father, how can I pass it on more than one generation

Post by ST560S » Fri May 27, 2022 7:33 pm

I've emigrated to Canada and wish to continue British nationality for my children's children. I understand its supposed to stop after my kids get it (unless they give birth in the UK).

So my question is basically how can I bend the rules to enable this to happen? I was considering registering the birth in both countries?

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:
England

Re: Born abroad to British father, how can I pass it on more than one generation

Post by mesn » Sun May 29, 2022 6:04 pm

ST560S wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:33 pm
I've emigrated to Canada and wish to continue British nationality for my children's children. I understand its supposed to stop after my kids get it (unless they give birth in the UK).

So my question is basically how can I bend the rules to enable this to happen? I was considering registering the birth in both countries?
Believe you cant bend the rule. Only option would be to have the child in the UK to be eligible for Citizenship or the more complex double descent application [no idea what the process for this].
T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022

secret.simon

Re: Born abroad to British father, how can I pass it on more than one generation

Post by secret.simon » Sun May 29, 2022 6:47 pm

mesn wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:04 pm
more complex double descent application
Do tell more. We are not aware of this procedure in general.
ST560S wrote:
I was considering registering the birth in both countries?
You can certainly register the birth in both countries. If the children were born in Canada, you can apply for a consular birth certificate to have the birth details entered into the birth register of the UK.

However, that will still not allow your children to pass on their British citizenship to their children.

To be able to pass on British citizenship to their children born outside the UK, your children themselves need to be born in the UK (or a British Overseas territory)-that is to say that the place of birth mentioned in the birth certificate needs to be located in the UK or BOT-, not merely have their birth registered in the UK.
ST560S wrote:
they give birth in the UK
Or in a British Overseas Territory. Bermuda and the British Virgin Islands are two BOTs close to Canada that you may want to look at.

If your child is born in Canada (and so is a British citizen by descent) and then lives in the UK for any three continuous years before the birth of their own child, that child (your grandchild) can be registered as a British citizen under Section 3(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981. Such a grandchild, registered as a British citizen under Section 3(2) would be a British citizen by descent themselves and their children would not be British citizens by descent automatically either.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:
England

Post by mesn » Mon May 30, 2022 6:55 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:47 pm
mesn wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:04 pm
more complex double descent application
Do tell more. We are not aware of this procedure in general.
ST560S wrote:
I was considering registering the birth in both countries?
You can certainly register the birth in both countries. If the children were born in Canada, you can apply for a consular birth certificate to have the birth details entered into the birth register of the UK.

However, that will still not allow your children to pass on their British citizenship to their children.

To be able to pass on British citizenship to their children born outside the UK, your children themselves need to be born in the UK (or a British Overseas territory)-that is to say that the place of birth mentioned in the birth certificate needs to be located in the UK or BOT-, not merely have their birth registered in the UK.
ST560S wrote:
they give birth in the UK
Or in a British Overseas Territory. Bermuda and the British Virgin Islands are two BOTs close to Canada that you may want to look at.

If your child is born in Canada (and so is a British citizen by descent) and then lives in the UK for any three continuous years before the birth of their own child, that child (your grandchild) can be registered as a British citizen under Section 3(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981. Such a grandchild, registered as a British citizen under Section 3(2) would be a British citizen by descent themselves and their children would not be British citizens by descent automatically either.
British Citizenship by Double Descent

"Under certain circumstances, you can apply for citizenship if one of your grandparents was born in the UK or was a British citizen at the time of your birth. This route is known as British citizenship by Double Descent.

Double descent claims are considered on a case-by-case basis, and you must be able to provide sufficient evidence to support your case. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that you will receive citizenship through this route."

Heard about this from a friend who was told about this by his attorney.

Solicitor weblink removed by moderator

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue May 31, 2022 3:56 am

I suspect that the current options under double descent are more limited if a person was born after 1 January 1983.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 31, 2022 8:10 am

mesn wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 6:55 pm
British Citizenship by Double Descent

"Under certain circumstances, you can apply for citizenship if one of your grandparents was born in the UK or was a British citizen at the time of your birth. This route is known as British citizenship by Double Descent.

Double descent claims are considered on a case-by-case basis, and you must be able to provide sufficient evidence to support your case. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that you will receive citizenship through this route."

Heard about this from a friend who was told about this by his attorney.
I think that applies to certain very niche cases where some countries became independent and the Act that gave them independence allowed more flexibility on citizenship by descent. The only example I can think off the top of my head is when the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland was formed and then dissolved and given independence. The two Acts (for formation and dissolution) created a gap for double descent.

But, in any case, as @vinny said above, most of those options would apply to people born with British citizenship before 1983. They would not apply to children of people who naturalised in the UK years after 1983.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:
England

Post by mesn » Tue May 31, 2022 11:05 am

Thanks @vinny, @secret.simon. Good luck to OP.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue May 31, 2022 12:05 pm

ST560S wrote:

As @secret.simon mentioned, they may be entitled to register or they have a parent who is a British citizen otherwise than by descent.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.