ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport for a Child with ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vivek86
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

British Passport for a Child with ILR

Post by vivek86 » Mon May 30, 2022 9:34 pm

Hi All,
My daughter was born in India in 2016, and I was on a Tier 2 General visa. I got my citizenship and British passport in 2019, she got her ILR in 2019. Now, the question is - can I apply for a British passport straight away or is it mandatory to go through the process of Naturalisation/Citizenship for my daughter to apply for a British passport ?

Regards,
Vivek

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Passport for a Child with ILR

Post by CR001 » Mon May 30, 2022 10:03 pm

can I apply for a British passport straight away
No. She is not British so doesn't qualify for a British passport
or is it mandatory to go through the process of Naturalisation/Citizenship for my daughter to apply for a British passport ?
Yes, on form MN1. Children are Registered as British. Only adults are naturalised.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 31, 2022 8:14 am

The only time British citizenship is acquired automatically is if certain conditions are met at the time of the birth of the child.

If the child was not born with British citizenship, the child can only acquire British citizenship by registration (before their 18th birthday) or naturalisation (after their 18th birthday).

The child can only apply for a British passport if they already have British citizenship. Therefore, if they were not born with British citizenship, they need to be registered as a British citizen, as CR001 advised above, before they can apply for a British passport.

As an aside, what is the UK Immigration status of the other parent of the child?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vivek86
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by vivek86 » Tue May 31, 2022 9:51 pm

Thanks CR001!

vivek86
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by vivek86 » Tue May 31, 2022 9:54 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 8:14 am
The only time British citizenship is acquired automatically is if certain conditions are met at the time of the birth of the child.

If the child was not born with British citizenship, the child can only acquire British citizenship by registration (before their 18th birthday) or naturalisation (after their 18th birthday).

The child can only apply for a British passport if they already have British citizenship. Therefore, if they were not born with British citizenship, they need to be registered as a British citizen, as CR001 advised above, before they can apply for a British passport.

As an aside, what is the UK Immigration status of the other parent of the child?
My wife has an Indian passport with ILR (similar to my daughter)