ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Struggling with figuring out Adequate Maintenance!!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

harmoniousregister
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Struggling with figuring out Adequate Maintenance!!

Post by harmoniousregister » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:05 pm

Hi all,
I'm autistic and currently unemployed, I am a PIP recipient so have to meet the Adequate Maintenance rather than the standard financial requirement. I'm looking to bring my American spouse over.

I thought I was all set, I receive £468 PIP every 4 weeks and £1144 Universal Credit per month. I converted these to weekly amounts so I could do the formula. So that's £117 PIP weekly and £264 Universal Credit weekly.

So using the formula A - B ≥ C
A would be my total weekly income of £381
B would be my housing costs of £160 weekly (I don't pay council tax)

£381 minus £160 = £221

£221 is greater than the standard income support rate for a couple over 18 (which I think is £121?)

This would mean I meet the Adequate Maintenance.

However recently I met with a lawyer to go over all this as it is very important I've got it correct. This lawyer told me Universal Credit CAN'T be used towards the Adequate Maintenance which came as a surprise to me as I've seen other people say you can use it, plus with the old benefits system you could use things like the housing benefit, so why would that change just because the system is Universal Credit now?

She admitted she didn't know much about benefits, and also tried to tell me that any savings under £16000 wouldn't count towards meeting the Adequate Maintenance, which as far as I know is nonsense and is in fact the case for the standard financial requirement NOT the Adequate Maintenance. So I have no idea if she is correct or not about the Universal Credit? I've done endless googling but am really struggling to get a solid answer. I see the government lists "income-related benefits" as something you can use to make up the amount, so I'm just checking with you guys that definitely includes Universal Credit? I'll definitely try to get a refund from this lawyer if she has given me false information, which I suppose she already has with the information about savings. I made it very clear to her I was talking about Adequate Maintenance and not the standard financial requirement.

Additionally I have a question about point C of the formula. Is the income support guidance still used despite it being the old benefits system and if so do I just look at the standard rate for a couple over 18 and disregard the disability premiums even though I am disabled? Also am I okay to not include council tax in the point B section due to being currently exempt from paying it? I know that we will need to pay it once my fiance (not married yet but will be when applying for spouse visa) moves here due to it being a public fund, but is it fine to work the formula out based on the circumstances before his move? Hopefully that makes sense, my brain is frazzled by now.

Thanks so much! :)

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Struggling with figuring out Adequate Maintenance!!

Post by manci » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:04 pm

harmoniousregister wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:05 pm
I met with a lawyer to go over all this as it is very important I've got it correct. This lawyer told me Universal Credit CAN'T be used towards the Adequate Maintenance
I believe this advice was incorrect. According to the guidance p9
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... dation.pdf
the total weekly net income (A) Includes all net income currently received, including benefits currently received to which the person is entitled. UC is a benefit.
£221 is greater than the standard income support rate for a couple over 18 (which I think is £121?)
The current standard income support rate for a couple over 18 is £121.05 pw.
This would mean I meet the Adequate Maintenance.
yes provided the figures are correct.
Also am I okay to not include council tax in the point B section due to being currently exempt from paying it?
Your prospective spouse's entry clearance application will be on the basis of the circumstances at the time of the application.
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

mavaas11
United Kingdom

Post by mavaas11 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:27 pm

Hey Buddy,

Absolute rubbish that lawyer, fire them. You can use income related benefits in the appendix fm adequate maintenance document. Universal credit is allowed as you are receiving PIP, and eligible for adequate maintenance.

For the savings you can start from £0. I would advise max £5300 so universal credit have a limit of £6000+ gets deducted. You can divide that savings amount by 143 weeks entry clearance, do get weekly amount, for flrm its 130 weeks.

plus just in case factor in the disability premiums for PIP and add that to C for income support as they give disabled people disability premiums for income support, 3 kinds currently.

Best

mavaas11
United Kingdom

Post by mavaas11 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:35 pm

Plus you would need a gp letter confirming health conditions, care support needed etc

pip award letter
benefit award letters,

corresponding bank statements

harmoniousregister
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by harmoniousregister » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:05 am

Thank you both!