ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice - Husband immigrated

Australia: Points Calculator | Skilled Immigration
New Zealand: Points Calculator | work visas

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ShoeGirl
Newly Registered

Advice - Husband immigrated

Post by ShoeGirl » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:08 am

I have a strange situation. My husband immigrated to New Zealand. He filed for divorce before he did because I didn't want to go. He refuses to respond or to finalise the divorce. He is also refusing to pay HIS outstanding bills.

I want to know if there is anything I can do to force him to finalise things.

I also want to know what I can do if he has applied for NZ citizenship and lied about being divorced.

I'm so frustrated, and I really just wish we could get this over with! He's been there a year already!

Any advice?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:03 am

As regards the divorce, you have a lawyer? Suggest you contact that person, because I would expect there to be a procedure in your country to force through the divorce even if the other party is not responding. Or maybe you need to issue your own petition?

As a Moderator here I can look up the IP address you used when posting, so I can see where in the world you are. And it is not Australia, or NZ, is it! However for the benefit of others it might be useful if you openly disclose where you are, because someone might have personal knowledge of the divorce law in your country.
John

ShoeGirl
Newly Registered

Post by ShoeGirl » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:13 am

Thanks for the response.

No, I am not in New Zealand, my husband is.
The problem is he is not responding because he's trying to "punish" me for not going with him.

The reason I am posting on a NZ board is that I'd like to know what can be done if he has applied for citizenship and lied that he is single or divorced. I am getting to the point where threats of informing immigration of some of his debts etc are my only way to force him to interact with his lawyer, who he is also ignoring.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:22 am

But you need assistance, I think, in your country as regards ensuring that the divorce happens. I don't understand your apparent reluctance to say where you are in the world, so that those of your nationality can assist you with ensuring the divorce happens.

As regards the matter of him possibly applying for Naturalisation in NZ, I suspect it might assist those that know about that if you say how long he has been in NZ now?
John

ShoeGirl
Newly Registered

Post by ShoeGirl » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:17 pm

Hi

My location is South Africa. The law here is that if he doesn't respond to my reasonable divorce agreement (basically he doesn't want to pay anything that he's liable for) then we have to go to the supreme court, which will cost us both a LOT of money. I am trying to avoid that.

He has been in New Zealand for almost a year, and has told his parents that he will be granted citizenship soon. This makes me wonder what he filled in on his application!

Atasas

Post by Atasas » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:16 pm

wtf?
shall we start running all the batles for your spitfull ideas?
no offence, but I wish you worst in success!

f1dinesh
Newly Registered

Post by f1dinesh » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:51 pm

ShoeGirl wrote:Hi

My location is South Africa. The law here is that if he doesn't respond to my reasonable divorce agreement (basically he doesn't want to pay anything that he's liable for) then we have to go to the supreme court, which will cost us both a LOT of money. I am trying to avoid that.

He has been in New Zealand for almost a year, and has told his parents that he will be granted citizenship soon. This makes me wonder what he filled in on his application!
Hello Showgirl,
No he cannot get citizenship in 1 year. he must have lived in NZ for 5 yrs after he got his residency. Hope that helps.

Good luck.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:38 am

Your husband did not have to say he was single or divorced. He may well have responded truthfully that he is married but his spouse was not traveling with him. He would have had to explain why, but it's quite plausible that a couple is separating and one wishes to leave the country.

I think rather than focusing on your husbands residency/citizenship in NZ, you should focus on trying to get a divorce on grounds of abandonment (if he won't go the other route).

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:08 am

you should focus on trying to get a divorce on grounds of abandonment (if he won't go the other route)
Exactly right, if he will not pursue the Divorce Petition he has issued, a Petition should be issued against him.
John

ShoeGirl
Newly Registered

Post by ShoeGirl » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:04 pm

[quote="Atasas"]wtf?
shall we start running all the batles for your spitfull ideas?
no offence, but I wish you worst in success![/quote]

I really don't appreciate your comment.

With all due respect, I am not the spiteful one. He is the one who is trying to extort more money than what is due to him, and he's the one who won't give me my freedom, despite his affair(s?) before he left here. Before you've been in this situation, or at least know all the facts, don't judge. It's a really frustrating thing knowing you can't go on with your life because someone is trying to spite you.

To everyone else, thanks for all the advice. I'm going to see what my lawyer says at our next meeting.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:34 pm

ShoeGirl, and your comment about my suggestion 3 days ago?

Don't let your husband control the divorce situation ..... be proactive.
John