ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Discrimination at the Border.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Alex0226
United Kingdom

Discrimination at the Border.

Post by Alex0226 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:56 pm

Hi,
Please, I am writing to enquire what action could I take against UKBA for unlawful detention and discrimination.
This is my story:
I am an holder of Indefinite leave to remain since 2021. Literally, I went to Istanbul for a 2 days rest after rigorous and busy weeks of works.

On coming back to UK, I was asked why my stay in Istanbul was short, with questions about my work etc. I politely answered those question. But before I knew, I was detained and given a detention notice. This is the biggest shock of my life. I asked the officer to please explain to me why I'm being detained, but no cogent answer was given.

After being detained for 2 hours, another officer invited me to custom department to make a declaration of everything I had on me. He subsequently scanned my bags for drug but unfortunately they were disappointed of thier suspicion. I still repeatedly asked why am being detained only for the officer to tell me they do it randomly. Randomly only to Nigerians. All detainees with Indefinite leave to remain including me were nigeria.

Please, can you advise me if I need to write my MP though I have reported this to my solicitor immediately.

Thank you so much for helping me out

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Discrimination at the Border.

Post by zimba » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:12 am

UKBA does not exist. It was disbanded in 2013. The border force is part of the Home Office.
ILR holders are still subject to immigration control under the rules for the returning residents.
In order to make claims of discrimination, you need to substantiate your claims.

I am speculating here but the border force, for example, may have had intelligence that a Nigerian citizen is planning to smuggle drugs into the UK via Turkey. So given your short stay in Turkey and your nationality, you did fit the bill and hence their suspicion. This may also explain why other Nigerians were detained too. Again I'm purely speculating here but something like this could have been the reason and they are not going to tell you exactly

I suggest not taking it personally and moving on
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:43 am

See also other interesting Airport stories to tell your grandchildren. Use your personal experience to write a novel or screenplay? Be happy and make millions instead of being mad?

If curious, then try SAR?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:29 am

It does not happen just to you because you are Nigerian, I am white British and it happens to me too. I got stopped entering Mexico, and then subsequently upon returning home, again at Heathrow.

Years ago, I got stopped going to Sweden. So don't think you're special.

Also, consider this. The UK, as do all countries, have the right to search who they want and as has been pointed out, you probably fitted the bill for suspicious behaviour. Why go so far for a couple of days?

Alex0226
United Kingdom

Post by Alex0226 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:39 am

Thank you for your reply and truly I did appreciate it. Although, this has never happened to me and just got me worried. Ofcourse, I have never expected to be treated so special at the border but was just curious since its my first experience. I asked the officer too if its unlawful to get a short break abroad. The more you ask, the more knowledge you get. Anyway, many thanks for clearing the air and thank you everyone that has cleared the debris.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:33 am

Alex0226 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:39 am
Thank you for your reply and truly I did appreciate it. Although, this has never happened to me and just got me worried. Ofcourse, I have never expected to be treated so special at the border but was just curious since its my first experience. I asked the officer too if its unlawful to get a short break abroad. The more you ask, the more knowledge you get. Anyway, many thanks for clearing the air and thank you everyone that has cleared the debris.
The above response and indication of a change in the way you are taking it is better. I recall landing in Heathrow in 2012, was randomly stopped, my hands and luggaged swabbed. Result from machine showed high positive for cocaine! I started laughing and the officials were confused. Told them i got nothing to do with drugs. They reswabbed my luggage, negative for cocaine, reswabbed my hands and high positive for cocaine again! Was then told i probably used or touched a place or surface that a drug user or carrier was in tontact with earlier. From random, they began stopping everyone and searching and the drug mule was caught.
The above encounter changed my perspective. Yes it is inconvenient, distrupt schedule etc however there could be some positives (pun intended :D ) from it sometimes.
The stops may still be experienced by you at other times, it comes with travelling.
Do note that certain nationalities, age range based on knowledge held by security and border protection etc are profiled on different accounts by immigration however when one is sure of harboring no skeleton, then nothing to fear.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:21 pm

Zimba wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:12 am
In order to make claims of discrimination, you need to substantiate your claims.
Here is another tale albeit from some years ago.

A senior employee of a major African company was required to travel frequently to the UK on business. At some point he suffered ID theft but this was quickly cleared up. However, since then he was routinely delayed at the UK border on arrival, on some occasions being served with a Notice to a Person Required to Submit to Further Examination.

A complaint was made to the HO. The explanation received was that it was a technical issue resulting from some updated data having been lost and replaced with old information.

No problems since.
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:24 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:33 am
I recall landing in Heathrow in 2012, was randomly stopped, my hands and luggaged swabbed. Result from machine showed high positive for cocaine! I started laughing and the officials were confused. Told them i got nothing to do with drugs. They reswabbed my luggage, negative for cocaine, reswabbed my hands and high positive for cocaine again! Was then told i probably used or touched a place or surface that a drug user or carrier was in tontact with earlier. From random, they began stopping everyone and searching and the drug mule was caught.
Did they give you a reward as your hands had alerted them to catch a drug mule?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:50 pm

vinny wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:24 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:33 am
I recall landing in Heathrow in 2012, was randomly stopped, my hands and luggaged swabbed. Result from machine showed high positive for cocaine! I started laughing and the officials were confused. Told them i got nothing to do with drugs. They reswabbed my luggage, negative for cocaine, reswabbed my hands and high positive for cocaine again! Was then told i probably used or touched a place or surface that a drug user or carrier was in tontact with earlier. From random, they began stopping everyone and searching and the drug mule was caught.
Did they give you a reward as your hands had alerted them to catch a drug mule?
No chance of that, verbal appreciation and went my merry way.
If such stops become too frequent, travellers should know that they can ask questions and or request to speak with someone like a supervisor or manager who may be more understanding or courteous than the personnel who stopped or searched you.