ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse lives abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ukgirl123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Spouse lives abroad

Post by ukgirl123 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:53 am

Hi all,

I am due to apply for naturalisation next week. Have been in the UK since 2012 on a Tier 4 student visa then Tier 2 work visa and now on ILR.

I got married 2 months ago abroad, and my spouse is currently living abroad. I have no intention of leaving the UK, my spouse will apply for spouse visa but after I receive British citizenship.

We have read that the guidance states:
If you meet the absence requirements set out above, this will usually be sufficient to
demonstrate that the UK will be your principal residence, as long as there is no
information that casts doubt on your intention, such as:

• a partner who is living, or who intends to live, outside the UK

I have not broken any of the absence rules but how do I proceed in this case as I am really worried my application will be rejected?! Do I not declare the marriage instead or shall I submit a letter stating that my spouse will apply for spouse visa later?

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Spouse lives abroad

Post by Ticktack » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:15 pm

ukgirl123 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:53 am
Hi all,

I am due to apply for naturalisation next week. Have been in the UK since 2012 on a Tier 4 student visa then Tier 2 work visa and now on ILR.

I got married 2 months ago abroad, and my spouse is currently living abroad. I have no intention of leaving the UK, my spouse will apply for spouse visa but after I receive British citizenship.

We have read that the guidance states:
If you meet the absence requirements set out above, this will usually be sufficient to
demonstrate that the UK will be your principal residence, as long as there is no
information that casts doubt on your intention, such as:

• a partner who is living, or who intends to live, outside the UK

I have not broken any of the absence rules but how do I proceed in this case as I am really worried my application will be rejected?! Do I not declare the marriage instead or shall I submit a letter stating that my spouse will apply for spouse visa later?
You're overthinking it. Spouse of ILR holders and British Citizens follow the same path to settlements SET M.
Where your spouse lives has no effect on your application. If you're married, I advise to declare it. How would that look when you later try to bring your spouse to the UK and your marriage date predates your application. Spouse "might" be the one to suffer it, not you.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!