ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can one attend a citizenship ceremony at a different local authority?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Simplyhuman

Can one attend a citizenship ceremony at a different local authority?

Post by Simplyhuman » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:04 pm

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been answered before, but don’t seem to find any info around this!

Email containing Citizenship Approval and Invitation to book ceremony has been received, suggesting to book the ceremony with the local authority that was selected as the preferred option on the application form.

Upon checking with that same local authority, the next ceremony they have is for end of Sep 2022 i.e. approx. 2 months time.

• Is it a must that one has to attend the ceremony with that same local authority, or is it OK to book with a different local authority if they have an earlier date/ceremony available?

• Will they have the details for the applicant available to them or will the home office have only sent that info to the preferred local authority from the application form?

Ideally, wanted to get sorted asap so can apply for the passport at the earliest for upcoming travel plans soon!

Thanks in advance for any relevant information!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Can one attend a citizenship ceremony at a different local authority?

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:32 pm

Generally not recommended. Your local authority will have to return your certificate to the Home Office and they will then liaise with the other council. With every process being very slow these days youy might still end up waiting til September or even longer. Others may have had experience of this. I'd stick with the secure booking you have - remember you can still travel on your national passport and BRP, you are British only from the date of the ceremony..
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Simplyhuman

Re: Can one attend a citizenship ceremony at a different local authority?

Post by Simplyhuman » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:32 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:32 pm
Generally not recommended. Your local authority will have to return your certificate to the Home Office and they will then liaise with the other council. With every process being very slow these days youy might still end up waiting til September or even longer. Others may have had experience of this. I'd stick with the secure booking you have - remember you can still travel on your national passport and BRP, you are British only from the date of the ceremony..
Thank you. I think I kind of suspected that to be the case but thought of checking if someone has had this experience!

Bit of a shame but it is what it is I guess, especially when the local authority can charge the amount that they do for a private ceremony option!