ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confusion over profession ('other' option contains students and voluntary workers)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sm12
Diamond Member

Does the professional referee have to be based in the UK?

Post by sm12 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:25 am

The reason that I ask is that my brother, who wants to apply for citizenship, knows professionals from the list in our home country.
In the UK, he only knows a doctor who is a family friend, but it is not clear whether doctors can be referees.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Does the professional referee have to be based in the UK?

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:31 am

sm12 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:25 am
The reason that I ask is that my brother, who wants to apply for citizenship, knows professionals from the list in our home country. I would think since application is in ref for BC, would be right for such referee to be in the UK. Stand to becorrected
In the UK, he only knows a doctor who is a family friend, but it is not clear whether doctors can be referees. Drs no more on the list

sm12
Diamond Member

Post by sm12 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:43 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:31 am
sm12 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:25 am
The reason that I ask is that my brother, who wants to apply for citizenship, knows professionals from the list in our home country. I would think since application is in ref for BC, would be right for such referee to be in the UK. Stand to becorrected
In the UK, he only knows a doctor who is a family friend, but it is not clear whether doctors can be referees. Drs no more on the list
Thank you. I read on the passport application page that a doctor who is friend (rather than someone who knows you only professionally) can sometimes be a referee, so I wondered if the same applied to the BC application.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:43 am

I don’t think that they restrict a professional referee’s location?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sm12
Diamond Member

Employment history

Post by sm12 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:15 am

My brother was working for over a decade in the UK, before he had to quit work due to disability.

In the form, there's an option to state he is unemployed, but there's no place to provide his past employment history.

Will it negatively affect his application if he is unemployed?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Employment history

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:28 am

sm12 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:15 am
My brother was working for over a decade in the UK, before he had to quit work due to disability.

In the form, there's an option to state he is unemployed, but there's no place to provide his past employment history.

No, there is no employment requirement for BC application to be approved. If concerned and there such information put in additional info section.

sm12
Diamond Member

Post by sm12 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:51 am

vinny wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:43 am
Hi Vinny,
Thank you for your reply.
I noticed that the form actually only provides the option for city and post code, and not country, which made me wonder if the expectation is that the person should be in the UK.

Also, would a CIPD professional count, even though this professional qualification is not in the list provided by HO? The person in question is planning to move abroad soon though and he might not be willing to give a reference as he doesn't know my brother. The doctor, on the other hand, knows him very well and has known our family for decades.

sm12
Diamond Member

Post by sm12 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:43 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:28 am
sm12 wrote:

No, there is no employment requirement for BC application to be approved. If concerned and there such information put in additional info section.
Thank you. Do documents have to be provided for 5 years? The online form is only asking about current employment, but it seems from some posts that 5 years of employment history has to be provided?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:22 am

sm12 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:43 am
AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:28 am
sm12 wrote:

Thank you. Do documents have to be provided for 5 years? The online form is only asking about current employment, but it seems from some posts that 5 years of employment history has to be provided?
Following the new Immigration & Borders Act there have been updates implemented, including removal of the employment history section. Effective 28 June 2022. So not required. However, if you wish to provide additional information you are free to do so - note there wasn't a requirement to prove employment. Unemployment is not a barrier to approval.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:35 am

sm12 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:51 am
vinny wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:43 am
Hi Vinny,
Thank you for your reply.
I noticed that the form actually only provides the option for city and post code, and not country, which made me wonder if the expectation is that the person should be in the UK.

Also, would a CIPD professional count, even though this professional qualification is not in the list provided by HO? The person in question is planning to move abroad soon though and he might not be willing to give a reference as he doesn't know my brother. The doctor, on the other hand, knows him very well and has known our family for decades.
Professionals outside the UK would take much longer to verify. Thereby delaying the application much longer than it should be.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

sm12
Diamond Member

Post by sm12 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:24 pm

Thank you.
Would a CIPD professional count?

Also, on the pages for passport applications, it says that doctors can't sign unless they know the patient very well, and not just in a professional capacity. Does this apply to naturalization as well?

sm12
Diamond Member

Confusion over profession ('other' option contains students and voluntary workers)

Post by sm12 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:03 pm

Hello,

My brother is disabled so I filled his form for him, as he wants to become a British citizen.

He is unable to work due to his disability and was forced to quit his job, but he has been studying (just a couple of online courses), and undertook some volunteer work.

I had ticked 'no' on the form for the question of whether he is employed, but later I realised that if you click 'yes', it shows you an 'other' option, which in brackets is for voluntary workers and students.

I am somewhat puzzled as he not employed by the charity he did voluntary work for, so even though he undertook voluntary work, he is not employed. Moreover, he is technically a student as he studying two courses online, but it still doesn't mean that he is employed.

Could someone please advise whether I should just go with the 'no' option, or go with 'yes' and click the other option? They ask for the 'employer's address and there is no place to explain there is no employer for a volunteer/student.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Confusion over profession ('other' option contains students and voluntary workers)

Post by Ticktack » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:38 am

sm12 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:03 pm
Hello,

My brother is disabled so I filled his form for him, as he wants to become a British citizen.

He is unable to work due to his disability and was forced to quit his job, but he has been studying (just a couple of online courses), and undertook some volunteer work.

I had ticked 'no' on the form for the question of whether he is employed, but later I realised that if you click 'yes', it shows you an 'other' option, which in brackets is for voluntary workers and students.

I am somewhat puzzled as he not employed by the charity he did voluntary work for, so even though he undertook voluntary work, he is not employed. Moreover, he is technically a student as he studying two courses online, but it still doesn't mean that he is employed.

Could someone please advise whether I should just go with the 'no' option, or go with 'yes' and click the other option? They ask for the 'employer's address and there is no place to explain there is no employer for a volunteer/student.
It doesn't matter what you go along with. Employment isn't a requirement for British Citizenship.
Just answer the questions as true to the current situation as possible. It has no effect on the application.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!