ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MartinKing
Newly Registered

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

Post by MartinKing » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:08 pm

Dear Gurus, legal experts & forum members,

I would like to thank you for the help & support you gave me last year. It has been more than a year now since I posted here. I will briefly update you on my status and ask for your views as well.

Last year, although the work permit department in Sheffield confirmed my eligibility for switching, I decided to leave the country and apply for the visa from abroad due to time restrictions (Workpermit case worker said I might not receive it before 1/Jan if I apply from within the UK). I was granted my visa abroad and returned to the country around mid to end of December last year (07) and started my new job on the 1/Jan/08 and I'm working there since.

Now as my wife has taken the oath recently and became British. How would my situation change? Would I be able to apply for ILR or Naturalisation soon? Would I be able to switch without leaving the country?

I don't want to overwhelm you with details but I mentioned in my earlier posts that we have been living together since Jan 2005 (Initially we had our two addresses in the same city but eventually kept one of them around August 2005), we got married in the US on February 2007 and we are still together since.

Note: For the sake of keeping this post short, I decided not to repeat previous details that could appear irrelevant here. If you have need any clarification, could you please ask me or refer back to my first or subsequent posts on this thread.http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

I really appreciate your urgent help and advice again.

Many thanks.
All the very best,

M.K.

republique
BANNED

Re: URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

Post by republique » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:11 pm

MartinKing wrote:Dear Gurus, legal experts & forum members,

I would like to thank you for the help & support you gave me last year. It has been more than a year now since I posted here. I will briefly update you on my status and ask for your views as well.

Last year, although the work permit department in Sheffield confirmed my eligibility for switching, I decided to leave the country and apply for the visa from abroad due to time restrictions (Workpermit case worker said I might not receive it before 1/Jan if I apply from within the UK). I was granted my visa abroad and returned to the country around mid to end of December last year (07) and started my new job on the 1/Jan/08 and I'm working there since.

Now as my wife has taken the oath recently and became British. How would my situation change? Would I be able to apply for ILR or Naturalisation soon? Would I be able to switch without leaving the country?

I don't want to overwhelm you with details but I mentioned in my earlier posts that we have been living together since Jan 2005 (Initially we had our two addresses in the same city but eventually kept one of them around August 2005), we got married in the US on February 2007 and we are still together since.

Note: For the sake of keeping this post short, I decided not to repeat previous details that could appear irrelevant here. If you have need any clarification, could you please ask me or refer back to my first or subsequent posts on this thread.http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

I really appreciate your urgent help and advice again.

Many thanks.
All the very best,

M.K.
I dont get it. Did it work out for you?
You got your ILR? What?

MartinKing
Newly Registered

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

Post by MartinKing » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:25 pm

No I didn't get an ILR but I got workpermit valid for 5 years starting from December 2007.
I'm wondering now whether I will be to go for ILR or Naturalisation considering the changes in my wife status (EU citizen to British).
Any thoughts on that?
Thanks
M.K.

republique
BANNED

Re: URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

Post by republique » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:27 pm

MartinKing wrote:No I didn't get an ILR but I got workpermit valid for 5 years starting from December 2007.
I'm wondering now whether I will be to go for ILR or Naturalisation considering the changes in my wife status (EU citizen to British).
Any thoughts on that?
Thanks
M.K.
From thanks to help in one breath
No thoughts, it is just rhetorical so check the board.

MartinKing
Newly Registered

Post by MartinKing » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:55 pm

I have done a bit of research on the issue. I have read that if you have been married for less than 4 years, you need to apply for a spouse visa. But if you have been married for 4 years or more you can have ILR straight away. I was wondering whether 2 years living together + 2 years of marriage could count as the 4 years required for the ILR in that case.

Plus the law only tackles the issue when the spouse is outside the country and this is NOT my case as I have been living here for almost 9 years now.

Any fresh interpretations? I would really appreciate it.
Many thanks again.
All the best,
M.K.