ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Minor traveling alone to UK from India

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Minor traveling alone to UK from India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:18 pm

Hi All

I am asking this question on behalf of my friend. My friend is on ICT in the UK. She had applied for visitor visa for her son to travel to the UK who is 12 years old in April, 22 but got the visa only now. Whilst applying she had mentioned in the application that she would travel along with him. As such, there is an endorsement in his visa that "should be accompanied by XXYY" (mother).
Unfortunately, she cannot travel now to India to get her son but is looking at options if he can travel alone.

The questions we are seeking answer for are:
1. Can the kid travel alone with a no objection letter from parents even when there is an endorsement on his visa?

2. Will the airlines provide assistance with immigration, baggage claims etc for kids traveling alone? We did check with few airlines but haven't got a definitive clear reply, hence the post here to check if somebody has tried this route before?

Any pointers are welcome.

Thanks

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Minor traveling alone to UK from India

Post by Ticktack » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:03 pm

rainbowbutterfly wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:18 pm
Hi All

I am asking this question on behalf of my friend. My friend is on ICT in the UK. She had applied for visitor visa for her son to travel to the UK who is 12 years old in April, 22 but got the visa only now. Whilst applying she had mentioned in the application that she would travel along with him. As such, there is an endorsement in his visa that "should be accompanied by XXYY" (mother).
Unfortunately, she cannot travel now to India to get her son but is looking at options if he can travel alone.

The questions we are seeking answer for are:
1. Can the kid travel alone with a no objection letter from parents even when there is an endorsement on his visa?

2. Will the airlines provide assistance with immigration, baggage claims etc for kids traveling alone? We did check with few airlines but haven't got a definitive clear reply, hence the post here to check if somebody has tried this route before?

Any pointers are welcome.

Thanks
Visa aren't exactly slam dunk approval to enter any country. Visa allow you to get to the boarder of any country and seek entry clearance. For minors, on the form the questions are always asked about who they would potentially be travelling with.
Those answers are taken very seriously!

The kids visa is only valid if travelling with XXYY (mother). Even the father ZZAA (father) might not be able to travel with the kid.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:34 pm

Thanks for the reply. Regarding traveling alone when the visa has an endorsement of person to accompany, the UKVI site itself mentions "If you arrive in the UK without the person named in your visa, you’ll need to show that your parent or guardian consents to your travel and accommodation arrangements."

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor/if- ... %20details

So as per above, minors should be OK to travel by themselves provided they carry requisite documents.

Any inputs on airlines which are good for minors traveling alone?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:00 pm

rainbowbutterfly wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:34 pm
Any inputs on airlines which are good for minors traveling alone?
A very niche occurrence and so unlikely that any active member of these boards may have an answer.

But in the first instance, I would suggest contacting the airlines that have direct flights between the UK and India; BA, Air India, Vistara and Virgin Atlantic.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:33 pm

Thank you very much for your reply.

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:41 am

Quick update on this matter, hoping it will be useful for people in similar situation.

So, the minor booked ticket to the UK on Emirates with the option of unaccompanied minor. He was assisted to the check in counter by the Emirates staff, but did not get a green signal from Dubai to check in. Even though the airlines might accept unaccompanied minors while booking tickets and the UK gov website mentions kids can travel with required documentation, since the visa has an endorsement to be accompanied by an adult, mostly the minor cannot board the flight. Although a very exceptional case, might help somebody in future.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:10 am

rainbowbutterfly wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:41 am
Quick update on this matter, hoping it will be useful for people in similar situation.

So, the minor booked ticket to the UK on Emirates with the option of unaccompanied minor. He was assisted to the check in counter by the Emirates staff, but did not get a green signal from Dubai to check in. Even though the airlines might accept unaccompanied minors while booking tickets and the UK gov website mentions kids can travel with required documentation, since the visa has an endorsement to be accompanied by an adult, mostly the minor cannot board the flight. Although a very exceptional case, might help somebody in future.
I did mention that would be the case. Most airlines try to cover their backsides!

Thanks for update though. It surely would help clarify the situation for someone else.

Even though they might have a different outcome.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!