ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Certified Copies of Ceritificates

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sokane
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Certified Copies of Ceritificates

Post by sokane » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:24 pm

Hi -

I am looking to register a Foreign Birth on the basis of my Grandfather being born in Donegal. He has now passed and I am looking at how best to obtain copies of original birth certificates etc. I have access to his wedding cert and death cert but would need to get certified copies.

Questions:
- Do I need any copies certified by an Irish authority or would a solicitor in UK be suitable?
- Where can I obtain copies of original birth certicate?

I have copies of some gathered through searches on Ancestry but am unsure how to proceed with a reliable outcome. Thanks in advance fopr any help.

Sean

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Re: Certified Copies of Ceritificates

Post by BrexitEscapee » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:27 pm

The term "certified copy" means a certified copy of an entry in the births, deaths or marriage register. 'Certified copies' are just the bits of paper the authorities give you when you order a birth, death or marriage certificate - i.e they are official copies of whatever's written in the big book. There is only one register entry, but there can be as many 'certified copies' of that entry as you're prepared to pay for. So just contact the general records office and pay for a birth, death or marriage certificate, and that's your certified copy - no need to get anyone to sign it.

You will need to get signatures for other parts of your application, e.g. some documents need to be 'notarised' and others need to be witnessed by a doctor, policeman etc etc. But that's something else - nothing to do with your birth/death/marriage certificates.

sokane
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Certified Copies of Ceritificates

Post by sokane » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:19 pm

BrexitEscapee wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:27 pm
The term "certified copy" means a certified copy of an entry in the births, deaths or marriage register. 'Certified copies' are just the bits of paper the authorities give you when you order a birth, death or marriage certificate - i.e they are official copies of whatever's written in the big book. There is only one register entry, but there can be as many 'certified copies' of that entry as you're prepared to pay for. So just contact the general records office and pay for a birth, death or marriage certificate, and that's your certified copy - no need to get anyone to sign it.

You will need to get signatures for other parts of your application, e.g. some documents need to be 'notarised' and others need to be witnessed by a doctor, policeman etc etc. But that's something else - nothing to do with your birth/death/marriage certificates.
Thanks for the help. CLear