ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport documents?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wertyouoyoyy
Newly Registered
Poland

Passport documents?

Post by wertyouoyoyy » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:58 pm

Everywhere I looked people say all you have to send is your passport and citizenship certificate but I've applied through GOV and it says I need my birth certificate and my parent's birth certificate? It's gonna take a while to get them sent here and then translated. Can I still apply for the right to abode in the meantime?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Passport documents?

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:09 pm

If you have naturalised as British, the birth certificates are NOT required.

The form is generic and used for all citizenship routes!

You cannot apply for a passport and right of abode. It is one or the other, you cannot do both.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:16 pm

wertyouoyoyy wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:58 pm
Everywhere I looked people say all you have to send is your passport and citizenship certificate but I've applied through GOV and it says I need my birth certificate and my parent's birth certificate? It's gonna take a while to get them sent here and then translated. Can I still apply for the right to abode in the meantime?
I can see you're Polish yeah! When you apply for a British Passport, wait till your friend verifies you identity. You would get an email telling you what documents you need to send to the HMPO.

Trust me, it is as advised on this platform everyday. Passport(s) current and uncancelled, first passport you came to the UK originally on and naturalisation certificate.

You're welcomed to wait for your parents birth certificates, but that wouldn't help you as they have no entitlement to British Citizenship and can't pass it on to you. So it's a fruitless endeavour.

You're a Brit in your own right!
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:43 pm

wertyouoyoyy wrote:
I've applied through GOV and it says I need my birth certificate and my parent's birth certificate?
Where exactly are you seeing this? Can you provide a link or explain how you get to the sentence asking for your birth certificate?

I ask because it seems you are not the only one getting that information. I just want to verify the source to explain/confirm if and how that does (or does not) apply to you and others.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

wertyouoyoyy
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by wertyouoyoyy » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:51 pm

On the GOV's website after applying for a passport and logging back in to see what documents I have to send ( https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/track/ ) And that's what it says:

'Applicant’s documents
Send the following:

full birth or adoption certificate
the passport used to enter the UK
any current or expired passports from other countries that haven’t been cancelled

Parents’ documents
For 1 of your parents, send 1 of the following:

naturalisation or registration certificate'

And below it says that if documents aren't in English or Welsh I'll need a certified translation
Last edited by wertyouoyoyy on Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wertyouoyoyy
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by wertyouoyoyy » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:52 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:16 pm
wertyouoyoyy wrote:
I can see you're Polish yeah! When you apply for a British Passport, wait till your friend verifies you identity. You would get an email telling you what documents you need to send to the HMPO.

Trust me, it is as advised on this platform everyday. Passport(s) current and uncancelled, first passport you came to the UK originally on and naturalisation certificate.

You're welcomed to wait for your parents birth certificates, but that wouldn't help you as they have no entitlement to British Citizenship and can't pass it on to you. So it's a fruitless endeavour.

You're a Brit in your own right!
Yeah, my friend has confirmed my identity already and that's what the website told me to send

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:54 pm

Your claim to British citizenship is based on naturalisation.
The advice you have seen in many posts here stands: Certificate and national passport(s) is all that's required.
It was the same for me about six years ago and nothing has change in the regulations since then.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:40 am

wertyouoyoyy wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:51 pm
On the GOV's website after applying for a passport and logging back in to see what documents I have to send ( https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/track/ ) And that's what it says:

'Applicant’s documents
Send the following:

the passport used to enter the UK
any current or expired passports from other countries that haven’t been cancelled

Parents’ documents
For 1 of your parents, send 1 of the following:

naturalisation or registration certificate'

And below it says that if documents aren't in English or Welsh I'll need a certified translation
I applied about a month ago, used the same link, and I don't think I saw the same list above. I cannot replicate what I used to see on the center of the screen, since my passport has already been printed and it no longer tells me what to send right there, BUT... on the right hand side there is a box with three links, as follows:

Application reference
[My application reference, starting with PEX, etc]
Documents
What you need to send
Tell us what you think
Fill in a survey about this service

If you click on the "What you need to send" link, for me it goes to: https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/hel ... 47ff4ed60d

Which says:
Applicant’s documents
Send the following:
  • naturalisation or registration certificate
  • the passport used to enter the UK
  • any current or expired passports from other countries that haven’t been cancelled
If any of the following apply, you need to send additional documents):
Then below that, there is a list of conditions for which you do need to send more documents. But that was not my case (and probably not yours(?)). You can also click on the "additional documents" link. That is where you see some people are required to send birth certificates/adoption certifficates, but that's when their circumstances require it (they were adopted by British parents, etc.)

So it all seems like you might have clicked the wrong tickbox at some point on your application? It really should not be telling you to send any more than passports and British citizenship certificate, just as everyone else has already confirmed. If in doubt, just like it's advised at the end of the document list, you can also contact them to double check why they are asking you for this: https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/help
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.