ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused, citizenship through grandparent or parent

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

alex98uk
Chile

Confused, citizenship through grandparent or parent

Post by alex98uk » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:03 am

Hello,

My mother was born on the island of Ireland in the 1950s. I was born in the UK in 1988 and in November 2021, I received my first Irish passport based on her birthplace. I am not on the foreign births register as a result of the application being through a parent, not grandparent.

My daughter was born in January 2020, in the UK. I would like to apply for her passport. My confusion is whether her application is made on the basis of her grandmother (my mother), or whether it's through me as a person who was entitled to Irish citizenship in 2020, although I did not hold a passport.

I understand either way, is that she'll need to be registered on the FBR. I believe that her application would need to be through her grandmother, as although I am a citizen now, I was born outside of Ireland (according to the table here, she would be person D)

It would be great if someone was able to clarify, before I begin the process and realise I understood incorrectly :)

G Dog
Ireland

Re: Confused, citizenship through grandparent or parent

Post by G Dog » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:51 am

You would have to apply to have your daughter's name added to the FBR as she is basing it on an Irish born grandparent

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:53 am

alex98uk wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:03 am
Hello,

My mother was born on the island of Ireland in the 1950s. I was born in the UK in 1988 and in November 2021, I received my first Irish passport based on her birthplace. I am not on the foreign births register as a result of the application being through a parent, not grandparent.

My daughter was born in January 2020, in the UK. I would like to apply for her passport. My confusion is whether her application is made on the basis of her grandmother (my mother), or whether it's through me as a person who was entitled to Irish citizenship in 2020, although I did not hold a passport.

I understand either way, is that she'll need to be registered on the FBR. I believe that her application would need to be through her grandmother, as although I am a citizen now, I was born outside of Ireland (according to the table here, she would be person D)

It would be great if someone was able to clarify, before I begin the process and realise I understood incorrectly :)
Your daughter is in the same situation as me. My grandmother was born in Ireland. My mother was born in London, (she is automatically an Irish citizen like you), and I applied for citizenship through FBR via my Irish grandmother. So yes, apply for her through the FBR on the basis of her Irish born grandmother.

archermoo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by archermoo » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:04 am

As others have said, you have the process correct. You have been an Irish citizen from birth, due to your mother being an Irish citizen born on the island of Ireland. Your daughter is not a citizen by birth, however you can register her in the Foreign Births Register to get her her Irish citizenship. She will be a citizen from the time her registration is accepted, rather than from birth like you.