ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Continuous Residence Requirement 1 year before Citizenship Application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

haburetabure
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Continuous Residence Requirement 1 year before Citizenship Application

Post by haburetabure » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:14 am

Hi All,

I’m planning to apply for citizenship in Jan 2023 and I’m wondering whether I satisfy the continuous residence requirement from Jan 2022 to Jan 2023 based on the below case:

My last IRP card issue date was 02 Jun 2022 although I applied for it in Mar 2022 (one month before the previous IRP card expiry date which was the rule set by the Immigration Office). I’m also aware that all the residence permits were extended until 31 May 2022 due to Covid restrictions and I believe I can consider the period from Jan 2022 to 31 May 2022 as continuous residency.

My concern is 2 days between 31 May and 02 Jun (which is my new IRP issue date). Since I applied in Mar 2022 and I have ISD Acknowledgement email, would you think I can consider this period as continuous residency and I can apply for citizenship in Jan 2023 satisfying 1 year rule?

meself2
Ireland

Re: Continuous Residence Requirement 1 year before Citizenship Application

Post by meself2 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:25 am

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/stateme ... -may-2022/
If an employee’s Irish Residence Permit (IRP) card has expired and they are unable to obtain a valid registration card by 31 May 2022, they are still legally permitted to remain in the State provided they show proof that they have applied to renew their registration and are waiting for it to be processed. All renewals are processed online and applicants are issued with a receipt of application and a unique application number (OREG number).
You were legally in the state under these conditions, so yes. Plus it's two days. You can put a cover letter, this notice and an OREG number email if you want to cover that I'd say.

Just to be sure, what was the expiration date of your previous IRP?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

haburetabure
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by haburetabure » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:49 am

Thanks for your quick reply. Previous expiry date was Apr 2022 and I had a valid IRP card back in Mar 2020 at the time when residence permits were extended for the first time by the government.

I’m also wondering how I should put in the dates in the reckonable residence calculator. Once I put in Apr 2022 as expiry date of the previous IRP and 02 Jun 2022 as the issue date of the new IRP, it shows me a warning message saying that you don’t satisfy the continuous residence requirement.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:12 am

haburetabure wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:49 am
Thanks for your quick reply. Previous expiry date was Apr 2022 and I had a valid IRP card back in Mar 2020 at the time when residence permits were extended for the first time by the government.

I’m also wondering how I should put in the dates in the reckonable residence calculator. Once I put in Apr 2022 as expiry date of the previous IRP and 02 Jun 2022 as the issue date of the new IRP, it shows me a warning message saying that you don’t satisfy the continuous residence requirement.
courtesy of @mentalmind:
post2053831.html#p2053831
If your IRP expired on 18.02.2021 just put new one's date as 19.02.2021 and expire date is depends on your situation. I was in similar situation, my residence was expired on May 2020 and I could renew it on September 2020 (bcs of police stations were closed) and this is the answer I got from Citizenship Help desk 2
When submitting your application please include
written confirmation that the gap in your stamp is due to restrictions
imposed by the health guidelines for Covid-19. This office will take a
pragmatic approach when calculating residency due to the pandemic. When
completing the calculator use May 2020.
I wrote down a letter explaining the situation, and I stated that I was working during this time with valid work permit and I was residing in Ireland. So you can try the same. I didn't heard back from my application so this is just an idea, nothing official (apart from the email I got as answer)

Remember that, you need 365 days continous residency and less than 6 weeks absence in this 365 days.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.