ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I just became a Citizen, will my 18+ children get citizenship too?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

JSJS72
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

I just became a Citizen, will my 18+ children get citizenship too?

Post by JSJS72 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:35 pm

Hello, So this year I successfully applied for and received British citizenship/passport.

I have kids over 18. We were all born in another country. Will my children become citizens or do they have to do the whole thing and apply for naturalisation etc? They have indefinite leave to remain currently, like I used to have and they've lived here in the UK too from a young age.
If anyone has the answer, id appreciate it. Thank you.

meself2
Ireland

Re: I just became a Citizen, will my 18+ children get citizenship too?

Post by meself2 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:55 pm

They won't automatically be British.
Most likely, they have to apply on their own via AN, but not sure; more knowledgeable folks will advise.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:58 pm

Congratulations.

Unfortunately your children, minor or grown up, don’t automatically gain citizenship themselves following your naturalisation.

Under 18s can be registered, adults will have to naturalise themselves. In both cases normal fees will have to be paid.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:58 pm

meself2 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:55 pm
They won't automatically be British.
Most likely, they have to apply on their own via AN, but not sure; more knowledgeable folks will advise.
Correct
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:59 pm

They don't automatically become British because you are British.

They have to apply and meet all the requirements to become British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:09 pm

The only time that British nationality is automatically acquired is if specific conditions are met at the time of the birth of the person.

At any other time, even if the conditions are not met on the day of the birth of the person, but the day after, they can only acquire British citizenship by either registration or naturalisation as the case may be.

That is to say that acquisition of British citizenship at any time after birth will have a paper trial and will require the child and possibly the parent(s) to meet certain conditions.

Your 18+ children will need to meet all the naturalisation requirements (English language, LITUK, absences and physical presence in the UK, etc) that any other adult would need to. They are independent adults in the eyes of the law.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.