ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moved abroad for 2 years for studies on spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bigben1982
United Kingdom

Moved abroad for 2 years for studies on spouse visa

Post by bigben1982 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:47 pm

Hi forum experts hope you all are ok.
My wife moved to UK on Spouse visa in February 2019. She received her 2 years extension which will last until April May 2024. We left our rental property end of August 2022 and went for holidays back home in Asia. She started a course there which will end in May 2024. Baby is british born also currently living with her there.i am in UK working full time. I have just phoned HMRC child benefit and reported that they were there for holiday andshe decided to stay back home at the end of October 2022. Also I have phoned Lloyd's bank where we hold joint account. I asked them to remove her name because I wasn't sure whether it's ok to have an account in UK while you live abroad. Lloyd's said it's not illegal and she can use the account after she moves here.
Should I phone anyone else to report that she will be out of UK with baby for 2 years?
Please kindly let me know. Thank you.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Moved abroad for 2 years for studies on spouse visa

Post by Ticktack » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:36 pm

bigben1982 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:47 pm
Hi forum experts hope you all are ok.
My wife moved to UK on Spouse visa in February 2019. She received her 2 years extension which will last until April May 2024. We left our rental property end of August 2022 and went for holidays back home in Asia. She started a course there which will end in May 2024. Baby is british born also currently living with her there.i am in UK working full time. I have just phoned HMRC child benefit and reported that they were there for holiday andshe decided to stay back home at the end of October 2022. Also I have phoned Lloyd's bank where we hold joint account. I asked them to remove her name because I wasn't sure whether it's ok to have an account in UK while you live abroad. Lloyd's said it's not illegal and she can use the account after she moves here.
Should I phone anyone else to report that she will be out of UK with baby for 2 years?
Not sure why you feel you need to inform anyone about your family movements. Absolutely no one needs to be notified.
The only time it might be required is if you aren't married again, and you need her residency cancelled.

No need trying to create problems for her where there is none.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Re: Moved abroad for 2 years for studies on spouse visa

Post by JB007 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:53 pm

Yes, you were required to report to HMRC (for a Child Benefit claim) -
Report changes that affect your Child Benefit
If your child’s circumstances change
will go abroad permanently or for more than 12 weeks
https://www.gov.uk/report-changes-child-benefit

bigben1982 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:47 pm
Any other welfare benefits you are claiming, will have to be told.
Benefit fraud

You’re committing benefit fraud if you:

do not tell the office that pays your benefit you’re going abroad, even if it’s just for a visit
deliberately do not report a change in your circumstances while abroad, like buying a property, working, or claiming a pension or benefit from another country
are dishonest in order to get benefits, like continuing to claim the pension or benefit of someone who has died overseas
https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad

HMRC also need to be told for tax.

Tax if you leave the UK to live abroad

You must tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if you’re either:

leaving the UK to live abroad permanently
going to work abroad full-time for at least one full tax year

The tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April the next year.
https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk