ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please suggest

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tral_hsmp

Please suggest

Post by tral_hsmp » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:31 pm

I came to UK in Feb 2008 and was not able to find a job till June2008. Finally in June got a contract for three months and then another extension for three months. My current contract ends on December 20th. When I asked in November for extension, my PM said that he is looking for options and on Friday he told me that there is a project which will start from January till May and he would like me to join that project. This daily rate for this contract for me is 200.
In the meantime I had given an interview for a permanent position and today they came back to me with an offer. This is 30,000/year. As my current visa is till December 2009 so they said that they will offer me Fixed Term Contract till December 2009 and then again till the time my visa is valid. When I will get ILR then my FTC will be changed to permanent employment. In short they are not going to offer me as an permanent employment till I get ILR.

Just to add as per the company which is offering me FTC, they said I will get all the benefits like paid holidays and other benefits which permanent employees get.

Please suggest which one to take, contract or FTC.

I personally feel to go with FTC as the looking into current market and also the contract is only till May and my current company has started outsourcing to India, which means less work in future.

coolguyIndia

Re: Please suggest

Post by coolguyIndia » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:50 pm

u still thinking pal ? go for FTC man, it is right time to get into FTC now....

Regards
tral_hsmp wrote:I came to UK in Feb 2008 and was not able to find a job till June2008. Finally in June got a contract for three months and then another extension for three months. My current contract ends on December 20th. When I asked in November for extension, my PM said that he is looking for options and on Friday he told me that there is a project which will start from January till May and he would like me to join that project. This daily rate for this contract for me is 200.
In the meantime I had given an interview for a permanent position and today they came back to me with an offer. This is 30,000/year. As my current visa is till December 2009 so they said that they will offer me Fixed Term Contract till December 2009 and then again till the time my visa is valid. When I will get ILR then my FTC will be changed to permanent employment. In short they are not going to offer me as an permanent employment till I get ILR.

Just to add as per the company which is offering me FTC, they said I will get all the benefits like paid holidays and other benefits which permanent employees get.

Please suggest which one to take, contract or FTC.

I personally feel to go with FTC as the looking into current market and also the contract is only till May and my current company has started outsourcing to India, which means less work in future.
Thanks & Best Regards

Kaff
Member of Standing

Post by Kaff » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:55 pm

FTC is the best option.
Also make sure you earn enough to score for extension in DEC-2009.
Good luck
Kaff

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:47 am

It is a no brainer - FTC everytime.
With the way the employment marker is going what assurance have you got on the contracting side!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:37 am

Check the FTC tho - the terms might say one month notice from them and you're instantly better of contracting...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

nokia33
- thin ice -

Post by nokia33 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:54 am

What about the situation of telecom jobs in Australia/NZ ? is it better as compared to UK or even worse?