ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport submission for Citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Passport submission for Citizenship

Post by shpirtshqipe » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:49 pm

Hi all,

Hope someone can clarify the following please

I am looking to apply for citizenship on the basis of 5 year residency as a British Citizen

My current passport is valid from 2019 onwards
My 5 year period is 2018 -2022
This means current passport cover only 4 years of the residency

My question is do I need to submit certified copies of my expired passport in addition to the current one in order to cover 5 years in total?

I obviously don’t have any stamps on any of my UK passports

Thanks in advance

ShiprtShqipe

meself2
Ireland

Re: Passport submission for Citizenship

Post by meself2 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:29 pm

according to the scorecard linked here https://www.irishimmigration.ie/how-to- ... residence/ , you submit your passport not as a proof of residence (ie for how long you lived here), but proof of identity (ie you are who you say you are). I'd say you latest in-date passport should suffice for that purpose.

UPD: i was wrong - from form 8:
A full colour copy of your entire current in date passport and all previous passports
containing stamps that contribute to your period of reckonable residency claimed,
including front and back covers.
other possible reason for you submitting your passport is to check if you were absent from the country for a while; I'd be on the side of caution here and submit both passports, since that lines with your period of residency claimed, even though you don't have stamps
Last edited by meself2 on Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:31 pm

There is no requirement to produce a previous passport if it does not contain any immigration stamps. As a matter of fact, British citizens are exempt from having a valid passport whilst travelling in the common travel area, so there is no guarantee that a British person will have always held a valid passport at all times.

However, you are required to produce proofs that you have been a British citizen for that 5 years that you are claiming. This can be your birth certificate (if you have the birth right to be a British citizen) or a copy of your bio page from your previous passport.

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:35 pm

littlerr wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:31 pm
However, you are required to produce proofs that you have been a British citizen for that 5 years that you are claiming. This can be your birth certificate (if you have the birth right to be a British citizen) or a copy of your bio page from your previous passport.
Thanks for your reply Littlerr

This makes sense and as I’m a naturalised British citizen it looks like I do indeed have to submit the expire passport for 2018 😩

Oh well