ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish citizenship for child born in Northern Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Billi92
Newly Registered
Ireland

Irish citizenship for child born in Northern Ireland

Post by Billi92 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:05 am

Hi
I have a question regarding Irish citizenship for my baby. My wife is an Irish citizen from ROI but is now living in Northern Ireland & I’m non EU

Our baby will be born here in Northern Ireland.
Will we have to apply to the foreign birth register and then wait like 2 years for a passport? We have plans to travel abroad soon after baby is born.

Or can we apply from Ireland for an Irish passport for my child, my wife’s family are in Ireland so we could use their address if required.

Also is it true that a person can get dual citizenship (British & Irish) if born in NI?

meself2
Ireland

Re: Irish citizenship for child born in Northern Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:04 am

Billi92 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:05 am
Will we have to apply to the foreign birth register and then wait like 2 years for a passport? We have plans to travel abroad soon after baby is born.
Yes, for Irish one - maybe. What's the way your wife got her Irish citizenship?
3. Born outside Ireland to an Irish parent
If you were born outside of Ireland, you are automatically an Irish citizen by birth if either one of your parents was born in Ireland and was entitled to Irish citizenship.
In any case, what's stopping you from applying for a British passport for a child?
https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citize ... 21-onwards
If at least one of your parents was a British or Irish citizen when you were born
You’ll be a British citizen if when you were born at least one of your parents was either:

a British citizen
an Irish citizen living in the UK
Billi92 wrote:
Or can we apply from Ireland for an Irish passport for my child, my wife’s family are in Ireland so we could use their address if required.
In this case it matters where the child was born, not where you apply from. If you will go to, for example, Netherlands and apply for a passport straight away, they wouldn't give it to you just because you came into the country.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:14 am

Scratch that, NI has provisions to handle Irish citizenship as well.
https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/m ... tml#l4949a
Irish or UK parent
If either of your parents was an Irish or UK citizen at the time of your birth, you are automatically an Irish citizen if you were born in Ireland. If you were born in Northern Ireland to an Irish or British parent, you can choose to be an Irish citizen.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Finepaddy
Mood:
Norway

Post by Finepaddy » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:09 am

Billi92 wrote:
Hi
I have a question regarding Irish citizenship for my baby. My wife is an Irish citizen from ROI but is now living in Northern Ireland & I’m non EU

Also is it true that a person can get dual citizenship (British & Irish) if born in NI?
For Irish passport by birth I think its like 26+6 counties so yes u can apply but better if u can talk to passport office chat option.
Personally I always thought with NI birth certificate u can directly apply citizenship as irish island.
Finepaddy becomes badpaddy :mrgreen:

nisi
Ireland

Post by nisi » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:08 pm

Billi92 wrote:
Hi

No. A child who's Irish parent was born on the island of Ireland can just apply for a passport.
No need for any of that. You can apply with a NI address. The passport office deal with many thousands of applications from NI, at most people from NI are entitled to apply for an Irish passport

According to https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citize ... 21-onwards
Born in the UK from 1 July 2021 onwards:
You’ll be a British citizen if when you were born at least one of your parents was either:

a British citizen
an Irish citizen living in the UK
So your child will automatically be both a UK and Irish citizen and you just need to apply for passports for them.