ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visit UK after 10 year deportation

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

movingf
Newly Registered

Visit UK after 10 year deportation

Post by movingf » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:44 am

Hi,
I hope someone can help me with this.

My Ex GF was issued with deportation papers from the UK to Colombia on 27 May 2010 and left on 2 June 2010.
The UK gov paid for the flight.

I understand there is a 10 year automatic ban so that has now expired.
She does not have any criminal record

She wants to return to the UK to visit in 2023. ( she has not tried to visit in the last 10 years )

Normally you would apply for a visa to visit the UK from Colombia so would be able to present
documents regarding her previous removal and reasons why she will return to Colombia and not overstay this time
She has a business in Colombia and will need to return to continue to run the business.

But in November 2022 you no longer need a visa to visit the UK from Colombia as a tourist so

1) Would there be any problem with her just arriving at the airport and being granted entry.
is this going to be 100% successful

2) Should she apply in some way for a visa to get paperwork showing she had been approved entry after
presenting her old removal papers. If so can you point me to the information detailing the process.

I have attached an images ( suitable redacted ) that provide the specifics of the removal should this be of use.

Thanks for your time

Trevor

I did try doing some searches around "10 year deported" but there are lots of results and I did not see any covering this situation but happy if you can point me to similar questions.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Visit UK after 10 year deportation

Post by meself2 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:52 am

movingf wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:44 am
1) Would there be any problem with her just arriving at the airport and being granted entry.
there's never a successful guarantee, especially with this kind of a record
not a 100 percent certainly
movingf wrote:
Should she apply in some way for a visa to get paperwork showing she had been approved entry after
presenting her old removal papers. If so can you point me to the information detailing the process.
to be on the safe side, she can apply for a visitor visa as normal
https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/colombia/tourism
You may want to apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you have a criminal record or you’ve previously been refused entry into the UK.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

movingf
Newly Registered

Post by movingf » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:02 am

Hi Meself2,
Thank you for your reply I will recommend applying for a visa and providing lots of paperwork to backup the evidence they will not overstay this time.

Should they gamble on just turning up ( they were planning to travel soon ) do you have any thoughts on the likely success e.g. 50/50, 70 success, 20 success?

How helpful would having some of the evidence of return with them if they just turn up be in getting them an entry stamp.

Thanks
Trevor

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:24 am

movingf wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:02 am
Should they gamble on just turning up ( they were planning to travel soon ) do you have any thoughts on the likely success e.g. 50/50, 70 success, 20 success?
Not familiar with HO guidelines, but my estimate, taken out of the sky, is that chances are slim.
Put yourself in the shoes of entry clearance officer - person got a visa ban (a long time ago, but it'll still be on record) that prevented them applying for entry clearance and now comes without one, a few months after visa requirement was lifted.
Would highly recommend getting a visa, even though it might take time (see visitor visa timeline thread - general-uk-immigration-forum/visitor-vi ... 12112.html).
movingf wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:02 am
How helpful would having some of the evidence of return with them if they just turn up be in getting them an entry stamp.
She'd have to provide it anyway, even if she didn't have previous overstaying history - absence of visa requirement for tourist purposes just means she has to persuade an official about the same thing as you'd do with a visa (that you plan return back home), but it's just a different person who decides that (at the border vs at the consulate). She should bring stuff to show she's planning to come back, confirmation she has sufficient funds, etc with her to the airport and show it to ECO.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

movingf
Newly Registered

Post by movingf » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:33 pm

Hi Meself2,
I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I have msgd her and I think she will take the time to apply. It will provide an easier platform to present the evidence rather than at the border.

I can help her with the application as I applied successfully for my current GF so have a reasonable understanding of the process.

I was also going to suggest that the friend that will be travelling with her bring some evidence like job to return to, financial situation etc just in case there are questions at the border although this person has previously travelled to the UK and complied with the visa rules at that time.

Thanks again and wishing you a happy new year.
Trevor

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:30 pm

She might wish to have a look at social media from Colombians in the UK or those who want to visit. They have been very active lately after the last announcement regarding visa requirements was put in place.

Given her particular circumstances, I think she also can phone some Colombian solicitors in the UK with immigration expertise. They should be able to give her advice for free if her query is very specific and concise.

Travelling with someone with a 'clean' travel record will not make any difference. The checks at the border are conducted individually.

movingf
Newly Registered

Post by movingf » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:28 pm

Hi Lolo2,
Sorry for the late reply.
Thank you for the message, I took your suggestion and tried contacting a solicitor who say they offer free advice and all they did was to confirm what I already knew and then provided a block of sales stuff saying they can answer other questions if you pay. No criticism of your advice it was worth a try.

I will assist her with a normal application and see how it goes. I'll try and remember to reply back here with how it went.

Trevor

London22
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by London22 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:32 am

movingf wrote:
Hi,
I hope someone can help me with this.

My Ex GF was issued with deportation papers from the UK to Colombia on 27 May 2010 and left on 2 June 2010.
The UK gov paid for the flight.

I understand there is a 10 year automatic ban so that has now expired.
She does not have any criminal record

She wants to return to the UK to visit in 2023. ( she has not tried to visit in the last 10 years )

Normally you would apply for a visa to visit the UK from Colombia so would be able to present
documents regarding her previous removal and reasons why she will return to Colombia and not overstay this time
She has a business in Colombia and will need to return to continue to run the business.

But in November 2022 you no longer need a visa to visit the UK from Colombia as a tourist so

2) Should she apply in some way for a visa to get paperwork showing she had been approved entry after

I have attached an images ( suitable redacted ) that provide the specifics of the removal should this be of use.

Thanks for your time

Trevor

I did try doing some searches around "10 year deported" but there are lots of results and I did not see any covering this situation but happy if you can point me to similar questions.
hello
I have read the removal letter and it is just a removal from uk and not deportation .Removal from UK doesnt not trigger a 10 years ban .Deportation of serious criminals does however trigger a ban and serious criminals are difficult to get visa even after ban time is over .Now it depends if the lady you are talking about has not committed any serious crime then it may be possible for her to apply for a visit or other type of visa mentioning all the previous history specially regretting overstaying and proving with documentary evidence that she would return to he home country after the visit. It is not easy but not impossible.

movingf
Newly Registered

Post by movingf » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:02 am

Hi London22
Thank you for the reply, you are correct it was a removal not a deportation, I realised after posting the important difference between the two.

As she was removed at public expense its a 10 year ban. For others looking for details, bans can be 1,2,5 and 10 years see the following doc "re-entry bans" https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _v8.00.pdf ( this appears to be current as of Feb 2023 )

As you note providing a covering letter dealing with the removal and apologising etc is the way to go. Again for others, don't try and hide issues that you think will cause them to reject the application. Deal with each one and provide details on why they should not need to worry about this problem. Be honest and hopefully they won't find a reason to reject the application as it will just cost you money and make any subsequent applications more difficult.
Thanks
Trevor