ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

extending leave in UK by MN1

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jrs1984
Mood:
United Kingdom

extending leave in UK by MN1

Post by jrs1984 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:16 pm

Hi,

My child, who was born in the UK, is having his current dependent BRP on 22 Jan'23. He has a TIER 2 ICT dependent visa on my wife's. I have now received ILR this week and planning to file for child's naturalisation by putting an MN1 application to HO. The application is expected to be made before 22 Jan'23.

Does this MN1 application submission extends child's legal rights to stay in the UK beyond BRP expiry? Or, any other immigration application need to be made for him to extend his stay beyond 22 Jan'23.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

meself2
Ireland

Re: extending leave in UK by MN1

Post by meself2 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:25 pm

Technically, MN1 doesn't provide any legal right to stay in the UK, since it's naturalization application, not immigration.
However, as the child is UK born, no visa is necessary:
zimba wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:11 pm
A UK-born child can be registered as a British citizen once one parent settles. Use form MN1. Such a child has an entitlement to British citizenship and hence does not even need a valid visa
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:26 pm

Does this MN1 application submission extends child's legal rights to stay in the UK beyond BRP expiry?
No it does NOT Citizenship is Not an immigration application.
Or, any other immigration application need to be made for him to extend his stay beyond 22 Jan'23.
UK born children do not need a valid visa to be registered as British. They have an entitlement to register regardless of their immigration status. The issue you might have is once his visa expires, he is not eligible for free NHS.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:30 pm

jrs1984 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:16 pm
Does this MN1 application submission extends child's legal rights to stay in the UK beyond BRP expiry?
No. An immigration application made before the expiry of his visa would extend his immigration status.

But MN1, like AN, is not an immigration application (the immigration pathway ends at ILR). Therefore it does not extend the immigration status.

But, as a child born in the UK, he has an entitlement (i.e. can't be refused if the conditions are met) to be registered as a British citizen before his 18th birthday if either parent gets ILR. So, even if his visa is not extended, he will be registered as a British citizen.

PS: Overtaken by both meself2 and CR001 while typing my answer. I must type faster.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

jrs1984
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jrs1984 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:32 pm

Hi,

Thank you. I understand now.

So only implication is of not having free NHS access. My wife has a family medical insurance via her company (child's name included), so I understand we should be able to go private route just in case if this is required?

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:35 pm

Your understanding is correct yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.