ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Divorce and Pending Nationality Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

UK_Resident_2022
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Divorce and Pending Nationality Application

Post by UK_Resident_2022 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:23 pm

Hello everyone,

I am awaiting for the outcome of my British Citizenship of the following criteria;

Eligibility criteria: 4 years T4 Student + 5 years Spouse of BC + 1 week ILR
Language: UK Bachelor's degree + Life in the UK Test
Nationality: North African (Non-EU)
Method of application: Online (immediately after ILR)
Date of application submission: 28 October 2022

I have been married for over 5 years now and applied for citizenship through the 3-year route and immediately after ILR. Sadly, my relationship has broken-down and am considering a divorce.

Questions;
1. Will divorce impact on my pending British Citizenship application?
2. Should I go ahead with the divorce, should I notify the HO?

Any help much appreciated!

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Divorce and Pending Nationality Application

Post by Ticktack » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:56 am

UK_Resident_2022 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:23 pm
Hello everyone,

I am awaiting for the outcome of my British Citizenship of the following criteria;

Eligibility criteria: 4 years T4 Student + 5 years Spouse of BC + 1 week ILR
Language: UK Bachelor's degree + Life in the UK Test
Nationality: North African (Non-EU)
Method of application: Online (immediately after ILR)
Date of application submission: 28 October 2022

I have been married for over 5 years now and applied for citizenship through the 3-year route and immediately after ILR. Sadly, my relationship has broken-down and am considering a divorce.

Questions;
1. Will divorce impact on my pending British Citizenship application?
2. Should I go ahead with the divorce, should I notify the HO?

Any help much appreciated!
As you've already applied, that's great. Just hang in there for another 3 months. Technically, you should be fine as you applied with your current situation (spouse of BC). To just avoid any type of encumbrances hold fire with the decree nisi for another few months.
You're not officially divorced until the decree nisi, so there's nothing to inform the HO.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:26 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:56 am
As you've already applied, that's great. Just hang in there for another 3 months. Technically, you should be fine as you applied with your current situation (spouse of BC). To just avoid any type of encumbrances hold fire with the decree nisi for another few months.
You're not officially divorced until the decree nisi, so there's nothing to inform the HO.
A marriage is disolved when the decree absolute is issued, not the decree nisi which is issued 6 weeks and 1 days before the final decree absolute.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:32 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:26 pm
Ticktack wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:56 am
A marriage is disolved when the decree absolute is issued, not the decree nisi which is issued 6 weeks and 1 days before the final decree absolute.
So divorce proceedings hasn't officially started then. Good! OP needs to hold on. :D
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!