ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long before I can apply for naturalisation after ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vaidy
Newly Registered
India

How long before I can apply for naturalisation after ILR

Post by vaidy » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:01 pm

Hello

I just received my ILR BRP after my SET(LR) application. Thank you forum members for your help! My history is here.

I'm confused as to when I can apply for naturalisation. As my spouse is a British Citizen, it seems from https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-spouse that I can apply immediately? Is this right, or do I have to wait for 12 months after my ILR?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: How long before I can apply for naturalisation after ILR

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:07 pm

We get this question many times daily.
It is explained in the the guidance…. But yes you can apply now as spouse of BC.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:09 pm

vaidy wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:01 pm
Hello

I just received my ILR BRP after my SET(LR) application. Thank you forum members for your help! My history is here.

I'm confused as to when I can apply for naturalisation. As my spouse is a British Citizen, it seems from https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-spouse that I can apply immediately? Is this right, or do I have to wait for 12 months after my ILR?
You can apply today if you meet all other requirements.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:53 pm

vaidy wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:01 pm
Presuming that your question is because your ILR was not based on the spousal route.

That is fine. Naturalisation is not an immigration application, but one under separate laws and requirements.

So long as you (a) have ILR (regardless of the pathway to ILR), (b) your spouse is a British citizen on the date of application (their pathway to British citizenship is also irrelevant) and (c) you meet the absences and physical presence requirements over the past three years, you can apply today.

I am presuming that as you have got ILR on the Long Residence route, you have already met the LitUK and English language requirements.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vaidy
Newly Registered
India

Post by vaidy » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:08 am

Thank you all for your replies!