ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Passport application and copy of birth certificate

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

FHM
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Irish Passport application and copy of birth certificate

Post by FHM » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:54 pm

Hi,

I recently got on the foreign births register and have now applied for an Irish Passport. My birth certificate is certified copy of the original entry and is what I used to get on the FBR in the first place - its been fine for everything in the UK, marriage, etc. The Irish Passport office says they wont accept this and I need my original which of course I dont have! has anyone else had this problem (I've been using this one for 20yrs!)? And if I apply for another copy in England, will I get anything other than what I have, a 'certified copy of an entry'? after 2 years waiting on the FBR, I'm beyond frustrated by this! Many thanks

jbminger
Ireland

Re: Irish Passport application and copy of birth certificate

Post by jbminger » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:22 pm

Have you actually submitted your “certified copy” in a passport application and they told you it wouldn’t be accepted, or

Did you contact them, via email or something to ask if they would accept your “certified copy”?

If it’s the latter, I think what you’re calling a “certified copy” may actually be an original. If your birth cert document came from the registrars office of death and birth, then, while it’s not the original birth cert, it’s still an original document and not a certified copy.

It is my understanding that a certified copy is a photocopy of a document that a solicitor or a notary or similar would sub to say they have seen the original document and the copy is indeed a true copy of the original.

If you get a new birth cert from the registrars office, it’s not a copy.

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:06 pm

FHM wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:54 pm
Hi,

I recently got on the foreign births register and have now applied for an Irish Passport. My birth certificate is certified copy of the original entry and is what I used to get on the FBR in the first place - its been fine for everything in the UK, marriage, etc. The Irish Passport office says they wont accept this and I need my original which of course I dont have! has anyone else had this problem (I've been using this one for 20yrs!)? And if I apply for another copy in England, will I get anything other than what I have, a 'certified copy of an entry'? after 2 years waiting on the FBR, I'm beyond frustrated by this! Many thanks
Sounds odd that the certificate you used for FBR isn't suitable for a passport application. Could it be that you acidentally sent them a photocopy or a short-form version? Otherwise, I can only suggest that you push the DFA for clarification before you go to the time and expense of ordering a new one.

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:56 pm

jbminger wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:22 pm
Have you actually submitted your “certified copy” in a passport application and they told you it wouldn’t be accepted, or

Did you contact them, via email or something to ask if they would accept your “certified copy”?

If it’s the latter, I think what you’re calling a “certified copy” may actually be an original. If your birth cert document came from the registrars office of death and birth, then, while it’s not the original birth cert, it’s still an original document and not a certified copy.

It is my understanding that a certified copy is a photocopy of a document that a solicitor or a notary or similar would sub to say they have seen the original document and the copy is indeed a true copy of the original.

If you get a new birth cert from the registrars office, it’s not a copy.
What you're saying isn't quite correct but I understand what you're getting at. Any kind of birth, death, marriage certificate etc. is only ever a certified copy of an entry in a central register. They all include wording to that effect, e.g. "Certified to be a true copy of an entry in a register in the custody of the Registrar General". However, for official purposes they can be considered original documents since they are issued from an authorised authority and printed on watermarked paper with seals, serial numbers and other security features. So, when the passport office asks for an original, this kind of certificate suffices.

On the other hand and as you describe, a photocopy of a driving licence, passport, birth certificate etc. which is then certified by someone on an approved list (e.g. bank manager, solicitor) is only ever a certified copy of the original and will not be sufficient if the original is requested.

I think in this case the OP is talking about a birth certificate issued by a Registrar, i.e. an original and not a subsequent photocopy.