ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Original passport submission for first Irish passport.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

meself2
Ireland

Original passport submission for first Irish passport.

Post by meself2 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:14 pm

Fingers crossed I'll be naturalized in June ceremony, asking questions in advance to work out travel plans.

Do you have to submit all valid passports when applying for Irish one? On citizensinformation they state
Your original foreign passport (if available)
What if I have two and the second one was never used when interacting with ISD? Can I travel on it while my documents for Irish passport are processing?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Original passport submission for first Irish passport.

Post by littlerr » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:03 am

They just need one passport, and if you don’t want to submit the original one, you can submit a certified copy.

If you have two valid passports, I’d suggest that you submit one of the original passport. After all it costs extra money to get it certified and there is always a chance they would come back and ask for the original one anyway.

Remember to bring a photocopy of your naturalisation certificate when you travel. It makes border crossing at Irish airports much easier.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:18 am

I didn't know you need to submit your original passport at all? The passport document page just states one form of ID (like copy of Public Service card). There is identity verification form which needs to be completed and signed by Garda. Why should they ask for original passport in this case? It doesn't make sense at all.

I was planning to send certified copy of my passport's biometric page only but it says only applications from outside of Ireland can send certified copies so I am not sure about that either.

kcka
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by kcka » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:11 pm

mentalmind wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:18 am
I didn't know you need to submit your original passport at all? The passport document page just states one form of ID (like copy of Public Service card). There is identity verification form which needs to be completed and signed by Garda. Why should they ask for original passport in this case? It doesn't make sense at all.

I was planning to send certified copy of my passport's biometric page only but it says only applications from outside of Ireland can send certified copies so I am not sure about that either.
If they have requested for you to send your "ORIGINAL PASSPORT" am afraid you have to send it.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:14 pm

mentalmind wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:18 am

You are required to submit the original passport if you obtain naturalisation through FBR or Naturalisation. It is not on the DFA website but once you submit your application it will give you a list of documents that you need to submit, which includes the original passport.

However, the past experience is that a certified copy of the biometrics page is sufficient in most cases. They do occasionally ask people to send in the original passport.