ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born in UK parent got ILR later - naturalisation application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

adi27
India

Child born in UK parent got ILR later - naturalisation application

Post by adi27 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:04 pm

Hello,

My 4 year old was born in UK when I was on skilled VISA (Tier2 Gen) in 2018. I've since then acquired ILR and now about to become a British Citizen as I've got my naturalisation application approved but yet to get ceremony done. I was wondering that now that my Naturalisation is also confirmed I can perhaps apply for my child's naturalisation purely on the basis of my ILR if not my in progress BC. How do I apply for this online? Is this the link to it https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/next? And does he have to meet UK absence requirement? He has been in UK since March 2022 but have had few long absences due to his mother's health conditions. I assume that because he was born in UK and with my settled status (ILR) he is eligible for British Citizenship. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, your time and advice will be much appreciated!

Kind regards,
Adi

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child born in UK parent got ILR later - naturalisation application

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:14 pm

You could have applied to register the child as British as soon as you got ILR. There was no reason to wait.

A UK born child has an entitlement to register.

There is no absence limit for children.

The link you have posted doesn't work. You complete form MN1 for the child

Note that it is VERY important that you keep your ILR BRP card as that is the evidence of rhe child's entitlement to apply for citizenship. Do not send rhe brp card back to ukvi once you have attended your ceremony.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

adi27
India

Re: Child born in UK parent got ILR later - naturalisation application

Post by adi27 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:41 pm

@CR001, many thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

I wanted to wait until my BC is approved. I've now submitted the online MN1 form and awaiting biometrics.